IT Customer Support Technician Level 1 -External
Job Title: IT Customer Support Technician Level 1 -External
Location: GRCC Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 1010
**External posting, open to any qualified candidate**
Date: October 8, 2019
Title: IT Customer Support Technician – Level 1
Position Number: 1010
Hours: 40 hours per week - 52 weeks per year
Salary Schedule: Meet and Confer Grade 12, $19.75 per hour
Reports to: IT Support Desk Team Coordinator
Posting closes: October 22, 2019
Note: Flexibility is critical. This position requires the availability to work evenings and weekends. Hours may expand at different times throughout the year to accommodate campus needs.
The IT – Customer Support Specialist provides the “voice of the customer” for the Information Technologies department and is the front-line point of contact for all staff and student related technology concerns and issues.
The Customer Support Technician will serve as the campus-wide initial point of contact for technology-related support services and training initiatives. This position will receive, prioritize, document, and actively resolve end-user help requests utilizing the college’s support desk software and escalating incidents when appropriate. This position will also assist in developing and conducting end user training using a classroom environment as well as online learning systems.
This position is part of a team, focused on providing exceptional service that exceeds user expectations. The proper candidate is a motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills, a desire to learn and expand technical proficiencies, and the ability to work within a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide first-line technical support to GRCC’s students, faculty and staff via phone, chat, email, and face-to-face contactLearn appropriate software, hardware, and cloud-based applications used and supported by the college and remain current on procedural changesSupport college enterprise applications such as Campus email, PeopleSoft, Blackboard, Office applications and other applications used by GRCC
- Collaborates with level II staff to resolve customer and system issues
- Assist in identifying solutions for new software needs Troubleshoot and document software, hardware, and network service requests and issuesTroubleshoot and provide service to laptops and desktops, both remotely and onsiteAssist in identifying, developing and facilitating classroom led training, video tutorials, and individualized campus technology training opportunities on a variety of campus applications and technologiesProvide monthly and annual phone, ticketing, and chat reports to IT Directors
- Develop technical support documentation for Customer Support Knowledgebase
- Assist in developing support plans and project releases for new campus technology solutions Review Customer Support Knowledgebase articles as a part of the KCS review cycle Support Continual Service Improvement process by testing and providing feedback for new services
- Contribute to IT campus communications including technology notifications, tips, and social media pages Maintain and provision end user accounts and access through LDAPMaintain and provision end user Google Groups and membershipsInitiate, manage, and organize end user access provisioning processes for all new hires, transfers, and separationsProvision guest wireless connections to campus eventsProvide initial and follow-up support for college printers, peripherals and accessoriesParticipate in hardware and software pre-deployment testingFollow through with end users to ensure customer satisfaction
- Assist in interviewing and hiring new student and contingent staff
- Provide training to New Employee’s through the Onboarding process
- Provide mentorship and on-boarding to new IT student and contingent staff Be available to other unit team members especially student workers for guidance and assistanceMaintain confidentiality and comply with HIPPA, FERPA, GRCC policies, and related standards
- Continually advance personal skill set through college course work, research, and other educational opportunities Perform other duties as assigned by supervisorsRegular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required.Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position
- Collaborate with IT Desktop Support Technicians to ensure efficient operation of the organization’s desktop computing environmentProvide first level one-on-one instruction where appropriate to make staff productive using the technology tools provided and make recommendations to managers for follow-up training when need is detected
- Associate’s degree required with preferred concentration in computer science, business, or communicationsNational Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred
- Minimum 2-4 years customer service background with preferred technology emphasisWorking knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, Blackboard, PeopleSoft, Google applications, Active Directory provisioning, and ticketing system functions
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environmentAbility to multitask, responding to multiple support requests at onceAbility to explain technical concepts to non-technical peoplePossess mature judgment and be flexible in regard to interruptionsMust be proficient in verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills to work effectively with people of diverse ages, ethnic, sexual orientation and socio-economic backgrounds
- Ability to provide training and speak publically Maintain the highest levels of confidentiality and ethical standardsMust have excellent understanding of customer de-escalation techniquesMust be self-motivated and resourceful, demonstrating initiative and strong problem-solving abilitiesExcellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize, and complete tasks in a timely mannerDemonstrated ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships and work effectively as a member of a teamProject a professional image, including punctuality and good attendance recordAbility to perform daily routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervisionAbility to identify innovative approaches for service delivery that meet our customer needsAbility to learn and react quickly, make decisions and execute them expeditiouslyPossess excellent proofreading and editing skillsAbility to handle confidential material judiciously
- Sitting for extended periods of timeLifting and transporting of heavy to moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals
- Hours may expand at different times in the semester to accommodate campus needsAvailability to work evenings and weekends.Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor environmentAbility to work in busy office with frequent interruptions
The individual to fill the IT Customer Support Technician – Level 1 vacancy will have the opportunity to move to a Level 2 after successful completion of the required milestones (i.e. degree, experience, performance, etc.). Movement to Level 2 would also result in an increase in grade level and base compensation.
METHOD OF APPLICATIONGrand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Please apply on the GRCC website. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The posting will remain open until October 22, 2019 at 11:59 PM. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.