Executive Director, Technology Commercialization and Venture Development
Job no: 501415
Position type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Non-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Industry Partners & Econ Dev
Applications Open: Oct 07 2019
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The Executive Director, Technology Commercialization and Venture Development is responsible for the development and implementation of strategy and initiatives that will serve to advance the commercialization of innovation and technologies created by UML faculty, and to support the entrepreneurial culture and programs at the university.
The Executive Director is responsible for primary oversight and management of the Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC) and New Venture Development (NVD). This position will provide leadership and develop programs to align the strategy and activities of these two groups for the benefit of the faculty, the university and the local ecosystem.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in a technical discipline) plus advanced degree, and a minimum of 10 years experience in technology commercialization
- Experience and proven track record in key functional areas: technology commercialization, licensing and deal structuring
- Demonstrated knowledge of early stage development and funding of technology companies, and extensive relevant work experience that can be drawn upon in advising and mentoring faculty entrepreneurs and early stage companies
- Familiarity with research and technical areas, including science, engineering and computer science, as well as business needs relevant to the commercialization of technology
- Proven track record of successful strategic planning and implementation of new programs and change management
- Supervisory experience, and experience in building and leading successful teams
- Proven track record of creating and maintaining successful partnerships with external organizations
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively – to present ideas, both in writing and orally, in an understandable, technical and non-technical manner, with internal and external constituencies
- Ability to articulate a vision for the role of academic research in innovation, commercialization, job creation, and economic development
- Given the nature and responsibilities of the position, only U.S. persons (any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)) will be considered for this position
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, University administrators, government/industrial representatives, and students
- Experience in developing cost models and business plans
- Experience in promoting research capabilities
- Broad understanding of industry and investment community trends, and connections to resources for venture capital, angel investors, and other funding mechanisms
- Experience in managing an investment fund focused on early stage companies and technologies
- Demonstrated expertise in contract review, drafting and negotiation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including grant writing.
- Ability to work with a broad range and diverse population of people
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.