Laboratory Assistant 3
Laboratory Assistant 3 Job Number Full/Part Time Schedule Salary 201909256762 Full Time 8AM - 5PM $45,498 - $54,163 Position Information UC Riverside Botany and Plant Sciences Department is seeking a Lab Assistant III to assist with laboratory research and teaching laboratory preparation. UCR is the premier research University in Inland Southern California and we are seeking the best to join us. The department of Botany and Plant Sciences at UC Riverside has one of the most modern research facilities worldwide. UCR gives every employee the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel. The department administrative staff is committed to service excellence, honesty, integrity and an optimal work environment. Within this exciting environment, rich with growth opportunities, you will perform duties to include DNA and RNA isolation from plant tissue, plasmid isolation from bacteria, PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis, basic bioinformatics, DNA cloning, purchasing, prepare bacteria and yeast growth media, labeling and disposal of hazardous and radioactive wastes, and maintaining the research and teaching laboratories in a clean and organized manner. Employee will prepare the teaching laboratory with reagents and supplies as necessary and work with the Academic Coordinators to test new experiments. Minimum Requirements 1. Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and three years of laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences and two years of laboratory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
2. Knowledge of Laboratory Practices
* Knowledge of the use of laboratory equipment.
* Knowledge of safe laboratory techniques.
* Knowledge of general laboratory management.
* Willing to work with radioactive materials especially 32-P and 33-P.
3. Laboratory Experience
* Two to three years of work in in a laboratory environment.
* Ability to work as a member of a team.
* Knowledge of the fundamentals of molecular biology, genomics and evolution.
* General chemistry skills-solution preparation, etc.
* At least one year of demonstrated DNA/RNA purification experience.
* At least one year of demonstrated experience running PCR samples.
* At least one year of demonstrated good sterile technique for bacteria and yeast culture.
4. Math Skills
* Skill in adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing whole numbers, decimals and fractions.
* Skill in computing ratios, rates and percentages.
5. Organization Skills
* Skill in accurate record keeping.
* Skill with organizing time to complete tasks in an efficient manner.
Preferred Qualifications 1. Experience with basic molecular biology techniques.
2. Experience working in teaching laboratories.
3. Bachelor's degree in relevant science subject.
4. Experience maintaining radioactive materials inventories and waste management.
5. UCR radiation user authorization certificate desirable but not critical (will be required to complete training) Additional Information In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- UC Riverside was included in the (August 2018) edition of The Princeton Review's "The Best 382 Colleges."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2017) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- In 2016, UCR was recognized for graduation rate success by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) for achieving near parity across racial-ethnic, socio-economic, and gender boundaries.
- UCR ranks among the Top 15 Public Research Universities in the nation, as identified by the 2017 Washington Monthly.
- In 2017, two separate reports from the Education Trust celebrated UCR as a national leader for African American and Latino student success. UCR was one of just three schools to be named top-performing institutions in both reports and the only California campus recognized among 18 top-performing colleges and universities in the nation for high black student graduation rates.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview
Job Description Details View complete Job Description for this position