Director of Business Development
O’Donnell Learn (ODL) is a leading learning experience design firm dedicated to helping adult learners achieve their goals and flourish in life. We are passionate about learner-centered design and innovation. We partner with Higher Ed institutions, education companies, and organizations to design, develop, test, and launch successful learning experiences. For additional information, visit http://www.odlearn.com.
A fast-growing, innovative and agile services company, ODL seeks a Director of Business Development to initiate and implement sales initiatives that drive the growth of the higher education sector of ODL’s client portfolio: building a strong presence at colleges and universities. The Director of Biz Dev will also and expanding our partnerships with ed tech companies and professional societies.
We seek a dynamic, high-performing individual who thrives in a flexible and fast-paced environment, enjoys working collaboratively with an entrepreneurial senior management team, is an exceptionally driven self-starter, and has a passion for education, innovation, and technology. Above all we are looking for a persistent, go-getter with a knack for building relationships and securing large-scale engagements.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for the full sales cycle, from lead to close, and must love the thrill of the hunt. This role requires exceptional sales, consulting, management, budgeting, proposal writing, and communication skills, and demonstrable track record of sales successes.
Reporting to the President, the Director of Business Development is the member of the management team responsible for developing new business for ODL. In this role, he or she will create sales and prospecting strategies to identify, cultivate and close deals that will further strengthen the market position and help grow the sales and profitability of ODL.
- Sales Strategy: With overall sales responsibility, create and execute strategies for developing a robust pipeline of qualified sales opportunities by identifying and developing business relationships with senior administrators at Higher Ed institutions (CAOs, Provosts, Deans, Heads of Teaching and Learning) as well as C-suite executives and managers from current client portfolio.
- Consultative Selling: Employ customer-focused consultative selling process to identify customer needs, matched to ODL’s capabilities, to accelerate the sales cycle.
- Market and Product Knowledge: Thoroughly understand, and be able to position and present ODL services in learning experience design, curriculum design and development, and market research in the context of customer value propositions, pricing models, and best practice uses in customer environments.
- Sales Targeting: Manage, plan, prioritize and monitor sales targets, opportunity pipeline, and forecasting.
- Customer Relationship Management: Maintain regular contact with executives and key target customers throughout the client organization to develop new business and manage existing business.
- Lead Generation: Develop leads and opportunity targets, based on existing relationships and referrals, and by using inbound lead generation, and outbound prospecting (research, calls, target emails, conference attendance, etc.).
- Proposal Development: Generate and develop customized and well-written proposals based on customer requirements, and ensure scope, fees, and timeline are appropriate.
- Communication: Provide management team timely information regarding sales performance, sales forecasting, key issues and trends. Help internal teams continue to innovate by sharing knowledge of client challenges.
- Brand Advocacy: Serve as brand advocate and ambassador for the company with potential and existing clients including representing ODL in key meetings and conferences.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 7-10 years sales experience primarily in the higher education market, ideally with enterprise services background. Strong intuition into to the minds of leaders and administrators in the higher education space, as well as understanding of the ed tech landscape.
- Relationships and warm leads with senior-level administrators in this sector, particularly universities and colleges.
- Understanding of curriculum and educational content, and of the latest trends in higher education teaching and learning best practices, including the latest ed tech developments.
- Successful achievement of 1M+ quotas.
- Highly organized, with excellent planning, time management skills, and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral/written communication, presentation, and negotiation skills. Must have strong interpersonal savvy to work with different people within higher education, startup and large companies, and be able to build rapport with a wide range of customers.
- Business acumen with understanding of financial issues, including forecasting, pricing and business models, progress towards goals, and experience developing RFPs.
- Collaborative and genuine with over-riding commitment to the success of the company and the team.
- Thrives working independently, in an entrepreneurial, virtual, changing environment.
- Results-driven person who plans, proactively organizes work, initiates actions and drives decisions, maintains focus on priorities, and is accountable.
- Passion for education, and a belief that quality teaching and learning solutions can make a real difference in people’s lives.
- Other Considerations: Location/Travel: Candidate must reside on the East coast with access to a major metropolitan airport. Preference will be given to someone who can commute regularly (ideally once a week or bi-monthly) to our offices located in Stamford, CT. The position is remote or Stamford-based. Candidate must be willing to travel weekly for day trips, as well as overnight travel as needed, to meet with clients on site. National travel estimated at 30%.
Compensation, including base and commission, is commensurate with experience. We are seeking to fill this role immediately. To apply, send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: Claire Brennan, [email protected]
Apply for Director of Business Development
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly