College Accountant – Assistant Controller
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 48-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 87,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 17,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for managing financial services for the college, which include oversight on all accounting regulations; monthly and annual close-out with SUNY; revenue recognition for the college; cash flow projections; maintaining accounting procedures/processes; researching financial information for analysis; fiscal forecast; and audit preparation. Responsibilities will include, ensuring that core financial processes and internal controls are maintained, audit related activities are properly prepared for and coordinated, and the highest standards of customer service are promoted.
Reporting directly to the Director of Budget and Risk, this individual will perform special analyses, assist with fiscal law and internal controls and work closely with the finance team to create and streamline financial reports. This individual will also work collaboratively with Finance, Student Services and various other College departments. Serving as a key member of the President's office staff, this individual will share the responsibility for daily management and oversight of financial accounting and reporting, financial planning, financial auditing, and coordination of related activities.
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance or related area.
- Five (5) or more years of progressively increasing responsibility in the area of accounting and financial management in higher education or not-for-profit field.
- Have strong interpersonal, analytical, organizational and technological skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to open collaboration and customer service, strong verbal and written communication skills, the ability to manage stress and work under pressure while multitasking under deadlines.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel) and knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Must have the highest level of integrity with a demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Superior attention to detail, accuracy, timeliness, and meeting deadlines.
- A Master's Degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related area.
- Experience working with accounting standards for colleges and not-for-profits and federal awards/contracts is highly desirable.
- Experience in higher education system.
This position is located in Saratoga Springs, NY. Some travel is required. VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
Rank/Salary: $75,000+, Commensurate with experience.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.