GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Chief Human Resources Officer, this position is responsible for the coordination of the GIC (Group Insurance Commission) benefit plans including: Health, Life and LTD. This position also manages the Medical School dental, vision and STD plans. Additionally, the administration of the enhanced benefit package for Faculty and Executives as well as the MSERS and Optional Retirement Program (ORP) for eligible Faculty and Staff. The Benefits manager also coordinates with the HR Communications group to develop benefit communications regarding benefit open enrollments and any other program. The Benefits Manager is also the liaison between UMMS faculty and employees and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts State Employee Retirement System (MSERS).Responsibilities
- Administers all aspects of the applicable GIC and Medical School Benefit plans.
- Resolves administrative problems for employees, health providers and the GIC relative to insurance questions. Acts as liaison with the GIC for policy interpretations and dispute resolution.
- Responsible for new hire presentations and responding to any inquiries, regarding benefit programs.
- Serves on the University Investment committee in regard to the Medical School Retirement Plans.
- Manager of the Sick Leave bank process and committee.
- Participates on the Medical School / Umass Memorial Wellness committee.
- Develops, presents and distributes communications about the UMMS benefit program.
- Acts as liaison with MSERS and provides consultation for faculty and employees regarding their MSERS and Optional Retirement Program (ORP) participation including questions and providing information regarding pre-retirement information as they prepare for retirement.
- Coordinates all aspects of the annual GIC open enrollment process, changes to plans, employee communication, enrollment and problem resolution in a timely manner.
- Works with vendor regarding Cobra compliance for terminating employee.
- Administers the Child Care Assistance Program.
- Manage vendors for non GIC programs utilizing 3rd party resources, managing vendor payments and evaluating services.
- Answers inquiries regarding STD and LTD claims with vendors.
- Administers the enhanced benefit package and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP) for eligible Medical School staff and Faculty.
- Administrator of UHS 403B program (Bi-weekly payroll processing, enrollments and withdrawals from the plan)
- May perform other job-related duties as requested for required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Human Resources or equivalent.
- 5 years’ experience managing employee benefits with at least 3 years’ experience working with the GIC.
- Must have at least 3 years MSERS experience in a Massachusetts state, city or county agency.
- In-depth knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to welfare benefit programs.
- Excellent computer skills.