GMHEC Benefits Specialist
Requisition InformationPosition Information Posted with Limited AccessNoLimited Access Period Ending DateTitleGMHEC Benefits SpecialistPosting NumberS01375Full-Time/Part-TimeFull-timeTypical Hours Per Week38.75Regular, Temporary or TermIf temporary or term, enter anticipated end dateBenefits Eligible?YesHourly/SalariedBand/LevelEXCLHiring MinimumCommensurate with experienceDepartmentGMHECLocationHire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screeningCriminal Background Check Position Summary Position Summary
Please note: This position is being posted by Middlebury on behalf of the Green Mountain Higher Education Consortium. This is not a Middlebury college position, and as a result is not eligible for Middlebury transfer opportunities, or any Middlebury benefits.
Green Mountain Higher Education Consortium
The Green Mountain Higher Education Consortium located in northern Vermont was founded by Champlain College, Middlebury College and Saint Michael’s College in 2013. The Consortium aims to help its members to lower costs, increase the quality of services and add strategic value to our members.
The Consortium and its members strive to leverage shared technology, create best processes and service our organizations. We are implementing Oracle HCM Cloud and are building a shared service infrastructure to support each College’s strategic plan.
We provide a meaningful benefits program including health, dental, vision, life, disability, retirement with a generous match, paid time off and a wellbeing program. This position provides a unique learning and career growth opportunity in an innovative environment.
The Green Mountain Higher Education Consortium (GMHEC) and its member Colleges each have Human Resource (HR) teams which work collaboratively to provide strategic HR services across the spectrum of Human Resources and Organizational Development. In this newly created role, you will be a part of the GMHEC Benefits Team. As a Benefits Specialist, you will be involved with the implementation of Oracle for Saint Michael’s College and after implementation will service Saint Michael’s College. You will test, provide analysis and data validation specifically for our Benefits and Absence module. The Benefits Specialist will assist Saint Michael’s College in terms of testing for absence and benefits, data analysis, help with payroll validation and overall payroll testing and support.
This position will initially reside at Saint Michael’s College, supporting the College’s benefits implementation alongside the Associate Director of Benefits. Implementation and benefits work will occur both at the College’s location and at the Consortium’s Shelburne location. The position reports to the Executive Director of the Consortium. The position will transition to Shared Services at the Consortium in Shelburne, Vermont in the summer of 2020.
The successful candidate will be a part of a start-up organization servicing three very successful higher education institutions. We are guided by our principles which recognize that our member organizations come first, continuous process improvement is a given, communication is transparent and visible and we value our unique culture which includes being innovative, flexible and focused on wellbeing.Responsibilities Essential Functions
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.General Responsibilities
- Maintains benefits data, including: eligibility and enrollment, dependent, payroll deduction, COBRA, etc. in various systems. Ensures data quality by reviewing error reports (missing deduction, etc.) provided by internal systems and/or vendors and then troubleshooting and correcting problems
- Administers the College’s leave of absence and disability programs (FMLA, VPFLA, STD, LTD, Worker’s Compensation, personal LOA, etc.) to ensure regulatory compliance, maintain good employee relations by regular contact throughout a leave, , coordinate employee pay (WC, STD, PTO, etc.) and employee benefit contributions within the payroll system
- Assists in the current Oracle Fusion HCM implementation
- Performs regular audits of benefits to ensure programs are being administered according to plan guidelines; interacts with benefits carriers and HCM vendor support to ensure all benefit plans are set-up and functioning properly. Ensures VPs of HR at the respective College are made of aware of any issues
- Reconciles HRA, HSA and FSA accounts. Ensures benefit deductions post properly. Prepares and analyzes benefit budget data
- Reconciles monthly insurance invoices and prepares invoices for payments. Partners with third party administrators, brokers, or internal sources to investigate data or billing discrepancies
- Assists with annual benefit budgeting
- Participates in annual compliance work as needed to include: nondiscrimination testing and internal and external audits by providing, analyzing and submitting data as directed and within required deadlines. Assists is ensuring plan compliance with plan document and ERISA and IRS regulations
- Maintains reporting required by the Affordable Care Act
- Assists with annual Open Enrollment activities including pre- and post-open enrollment auditing and system testing
- Assists in administration of retirement plans by calculating maximum retirement contributions, monitoring and based on IRS limits, reviewing hours worked reports to identify newly eligible employees, tracking age-related changes, and performing annual break in service analysis for plan level reset
- Responds to data requests by generating reports, preparing spreadsheets and graphs. Using reporting tools specific to application, design, document, implement and monitor ad hoc and ongoing reports in HR systems.
- Maintains current and historical documentation and records
- Maintains internal procedures and instructions
- Assists in the deployment, daily operation, and maintenance of benefits module in Oracle HCM including functional testing along with operational duties
- Prepares and submits tax filings
- Ensures controls are in place and regularly monitored
- Performs all assigned tasks accurately, efficiently, and in accordance with applicable policies and procedures of the Colleges including legal payroll rules and regulations
- Communicates with College and consortium customers via phone calls, emails and in-person
- Maintains confidentiality and privacy of employee and company sensitive data
- Provides PTO coverage for other benefits personnel
- Sees the value of cultural, ethnic, gender, and other individual differences in people. Helps to create an environment of learning about, valuing, encouraging, and supporting differences
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Organize and prioritize work, take initiative, resolve problems, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Recognize several likely causes of events, analyze relationships among several parts of a problem or situation, and then formulate a multi-step response is required
- Build strong, positive relationships with external and internal contacts
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Manage and analyze financial data accurately
- Interpret and apply company policies and procedures
- Maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive information with tact and discretion
- Work closely as a team member in a small cooperative, open office environment
Independently achieve results and self-direct work responsibly
- Contribute to a leading edge, creative team that is highly focused on success for our College partners
- Microsoft Office: Word, Excel (including pivots and VLOOKUP, Access a plus), and Outlook as well as Google Suite (Gmail, Drive, Docs) and Adobe Acrobat
- Payroll/benefits software and basic knowledge of general accounting principles
- Tax and benefits law
- Benefits processing
- Internal Review Service and federal and state regulations, e.g., FLSA, ADA, HIPPA, Federal and State Family Leave Act; 1095 reporting
- Data collection, data entry and reporting
- Meeting deadlines for daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual duties
- Three to six years of benefits and / or absence plans experience
- PHR or SPHR a plus; CBP or CEBS a plus
To apply, please go to: https://champlain.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Champlain-Employment-Opportunities/job/Miller-Center-at-Lakeside-Avenue-Campus/GMHEC-Benefits-Specialist_R-007107
Please note: This position is being posted by Middlebury on behalf of the Green Mountain Higher Education Consortium. This is not a Middlebury college position, and as a result is not eligible for Middlebury transfer opportunities, or any Middlebury benefits.Recommendations
Some postings require contact information for reference providers for confidential letters of recommendation.Recommendation Letter RequirementsSupplemental Questions for Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).