Assistant Professor of Music
Position Title: Choral Music Education Assistant Professor of Music
Summary: Grand Valley State University, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position in Choral Music Education in the Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance beginning August 2020.
Required Qualifications and Education:
· Completion of a doctoral degree in Choral Music Education by time of hire
· Master’s degree or graduate cognate in Choral Conducting
· Minimum 3 years of successful K-12 teaching experience
· Demonstrated successful experience programming for, rehearsing, and leading choral ensembles
· Communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively with an increasingly diverse array of students and colleagues at both the secondary and university level
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
· 5 or more years of successful K-12 teaching experience
· University-level experience with teaching techniques and pedagogy courses in choral music education
· Teach courses in Choral Music Education appropriate to the candidate’s credentials/experience
· Conduct the University Arts Chorale and Cantate Chamber Ensemble
· Observe music student teachers and teacher assistants in their field placements
· Additional assignment to conduct student ensembles within the choral music program as well as related general music courses dependent upon the successful candidate’s qualifications and the needs of the Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance
All members of the Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance are expected to exhibit excellence in teaching in a liberal education environment; be active in performance, research or other creative endeavors; and provide service to the department, college, university, and professional community or community at large.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance/College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now." Please include (1) a letter of interest addressing how you meet the qualification requirements as outlined above, (2) a detailed curriculum vita, and (3) a teaching philosophy statement. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215. Candidates who advance in the search may be required to submit additional relevant materials.
Application Deadline Date: Deadline for consideration of applications is October 11, 2019.
Allendale, Michigan 49401 - (616) 331-5000
For more information about Grand Valley, see our website at www.gvsu.edu
Grand Valley State University is an EOE which includes protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. See http://www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.