Vice President, International Programs
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) is seeking a highly-skilled Vice President for International Programs. The Vice President will be responsible for a dynamic and extensive set of activities to strengthen the global engagement and impact of our member universities. Strong candidates will have served in a senior position working on international matters for a university or group of universities. A capacity to work with and understand universities is critical. Candidates need the ability and experience to further develop and implement the ongoing international vision of APLU.
Strong candidates will have some experience and be comfortable working with federal and non-government funding agencies. Experience with policy advocacy is a plus. This full-time position will be based in Washington, DC. For more information about APLU, please consult www.aplu.org.
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) is a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. The association's membership consists of 242 public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and affiliated organizations. APLU's mission is to: expand access and improve student success to deliver the innovative workforce of tomorrow; advance and promote research and discovery to improve society, foster economic growth, and address global challenges; and build healthy, prosperous, equitable, and vibrant communities locally and globally. The association's work is furthered by an active and effective advocacy arm that works with Congress and the administration as well as the media to advance federal policies that strengthen public universities and benefit the students they serve. Annually, member campuses enroll 4.9 million undergraduates and 1.3 million graduate students, award 1.3 million degrees, employ 1.3 million faculty and staff, and conduct $44.9 billion in university-based research.
Overview of the Office of International Programs
The Vice President for International Programs will be responsible for providing leadership to the APLU Office of International Programs and the APLU Commission on International Initiatives (CII). The CII consists primarily of senior international officers, but also includes international officers in schools and departments. Within the CII, there is an active group of international directors within schools of agriculture, called the International Agricultural Section. Overall, the office works to drive initiatives with member universities and engage with federal agencies and outside funders to incorporate a global dimension into the learning, discovery, and engagement activities of APLU member institutions.
The responsibilities of the Vice President include:
- Supporting the APLU Commission on International Initiatives, working closely with its Executive Committee to set and implement an agenda of activities (including developing special reports on trends in the field) and events (bringing together leaders in the field).
- Supporting the APLU International Agriculture Section of the CII and developing a strategy to integrate this section’s activities into the broader goals and activities of the commission, which may include expanding beyond a chief focus on agriculture.
- Supporting the International Advocacy Coordinating Committee (IACC) in collaboration with APLU’s Office of Governmental Affairs, which is a member-supported advocacy group focused on authorization and appropriations relevant to immigration, foreign assistance related to universities (including funding for USAID’s Innovation Labs and higher education capacity building partnerships), study abroad (including support for the Paul Simon Study abroad legislation), and other international legislative and agency issues.
- Supporting APLU’s engagement with its Canadian and Mexican members. APLU seeks to have Mexican and Canadian members actively involved in projects and activities across the organization as well foster membership collaboration across the region, the “North American Zone of Knowledge.”
- Supporting the work of the Board for International Food and Agricultural Development (BIFAD). BIFAD is a U.S. President-appointed board that advises USAID on agriculture and other matters, and APLU has a contract with USAID to support BIFAD.
- Providing overall leadership to the Office of International Programs, ensuring the office meets internal and external goals and objectives, working closing with other offices of APLU including Governmental Affairs and Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources.
- Seeking non-government funds to support and expand APLU’s international agenda.
- Supervising staff of the office of International Programs, providing support, training and development opportunities as needed.
- Masters or Ph.D. preferred.
- Several years experience in one or more senior positions working with a university or group of universities on international matters.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; exceptional presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to provide strategic direction and leadership to multiple constituencies
- Exceptional organizational skills; detail-oriented; able to juggle multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Strong commitment to advancing higher education initiatives.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Capacity to work with and understand institutions of higher education, including land-grant and non-land-grant public universities.
- Capacity to work with and understand the U.S. government and its operations.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to APLU’s Human Resources Department at [email protected] with the subject line: Vice President, International Programs. Applications will be reviewed as received with preference given to those received prior to October 31, 2019. The position will remain posted until filled. Salary will be commensurate with experience. APLU provides a generous benefits package.
APLU is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Apply for Vice President, International Programs
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly