DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Job Title Production Manager
Job ID 3581
Location Cinespace Chicago Film Studio
Full/Part Time Full-Time
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
The Production Manager will oversee student and faculty productions and related policies, practices, and compliance for the School of Cinematic Arts. This will include projects associated with classes, independent projects produced outside of class, Project Bluelights and faculty projects.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Mentor and train undergraduate and graduate students throughout pre-production and production of filmed media projects with a specific focus on best practices, leveraging local resources, and on-set safety and liability.
- Conduct occasional site visits to select sets. Assess the viability and feasibility of film projects, including Project Bluelights and MFA Thesis films, based on schedules, budgets, proper insurance coverage, and production logistics.
- Advise students and faculty on necessary changes.
- Create the procedures and protocols for assessing and tracking student requests for production authorization.
- Analyze existing practices and develop strategic initiatives to streamline the production management process.
- Provide ongoing management of an online database and tracking system for film productions in the college.
- Oversee the operation of the CDM Production Offices.
- Develop strategic initiatives for the Production Offices to improve and expand services offered.
- Hire, train, and supervise student workers to execute production authorization procedures and attend to other tasks at Cinespace Production Office.
- Work with the Manager of Production Operations to manager Loop Production Office.
- Design, develop, and implement for student use supplemental educational materials, communications, and programs related to the various aspects of producing filmed media such as casting, hiring crew, location management, insurance, permitting, and legal concerns.
- Direct SCA's strategic relationships with other DePaul units and external parties for business pertaining to the production of filmed media projects, including municipal permits, insurance needs, and casting.
- Ensure compliance with internal and external organizations including DePaul’s Office of General Counsel, DePaul’s Office of Risk Management, the City of Chicago Film Office, and SAG-AFTRA.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor degree.
- 5+ years professional film production experience as a producer or production manager.
- 3+ years experience working in an academic environment mentoring and advising students.
- Expert understanding of the motion picture industry, from conception to completion.
- Masters degree.
- This position will manage 2-3 student workers.
- This position will manage budgets for film projects in consultation with the Asst. Dean of Budget Administration of CDM.
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the “My Activities” tab of your profile.
- Some nights and weekends hours may be required, depending on production schedules.
Salary & Benefits Package:
DePaul offers a comprehensive package including competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain the best talent in order to further the University's mission. For more information, please visit the following pages:
Required Background Check: