Preoperative Assessment Consult NP/PA
DescriptionUniversity of Colorado Anschutz Medical CampusSchool of Medicine, Department of AnesthesiologyPreoperative Assessment Consult NP/PAInstructor
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The successful preoperative management of patients has been shown to lead to better outcomes: reduced morbidity and mortality, decreased hospital lengths of stay, improved patient experience and a reduction in OR cancellations and delays. A talented group of engaged Nurse Practitioners (NPs) and/or Physician Assistants (PAs) is essential to accomplish our goals of providing excellent clinical care to our pre-surgical patients in the Pre-Procedure Services (PPS) clinic. The core component of the NP/PA position is seeing patients in the PPS clinic. For each individual NP/PA, five to ten patient visits will be scheduled per clinic day. The NP/PAS currently see approximately 6,000 patients in clinic each year. Patients seen in clinic are medically complex, with multiple comorbidities. The goal of the clinic is to ensure patients are medically optimized for their procedures, in order to reduce the risk of complications in the perioperative period. The PPS clinic is currently in the process of developing multiple clinical improvement pathways as well as collaborating with other specialties in order to improve patient care and outcomes. We are currently hiring additional NP/PAs in order to expand the services we provide. These services include: inpatient medical consults, telemedicine visits, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) screening and testing, anticoagulation management, treatment of anemia, support for smoking cessation, diabetes screening and furthering Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) protocols. Therefore, a typical week may include outpatient consults as well as virtual visits and inpatient consults. General scope of practice shall include but not be limited to the following:
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
University ofColorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe andsecure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist inachieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees priorto their employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations:http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Strong clinical assessment skills and knowledge base ability to read 12 lead EKG's is required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with requesting physicians, anesthesia care team, surgical and medical services, patients and their families.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to teach both professional and lay persons formally and informally.
- Ability to assess patients and develop perioperative recommendations for formulation of a care plan.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of organizational policies and procedures of University of Colorado Hospital as they relate to patient care services.
- Masters prepared Nurse Practitioner or Physicians Assistant licensed as a Registered Nurse and included as a Nurse Practitioner or Physicians Assistant in the Advanced Practice Registry in the State of Colorado. Possess current certification as a Nurse Practitioner or Physicians Assistant
- Minimum of two years’ experience as Nurse Practitioner
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Oct 3, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing