Category:: Staff Positions
Department:: Administrative Services/Human Resources Dept.
Locations:: Valhalla, NY
Posted:: Oct 2, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Ref. No.:: PC10319
About Westchester Community College:
Westchester Community College was founded in 1946 as the New York State Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences in White Plains. In 1957, the County of Westchester bought the 360-acre John Hartford estate in Valhalla and designated 218 acres for the community college. Westchester Community College is more than just the county's largest educational institution. It is a living, breathing part of Westchester that goes beyond the influence of a typical college and affects the lives of all who enter its doors.
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the Personnel Clerk will provide clerical/administrative support, overseeing the Human Resources front office reception desk, phones, mail processing, resume processing, etc. The Personnel Clerk will fulfill complex clerical assignments within a highly confidential environment, exercising independent judgment within policy guidelines and procedures related to personnel management. The Personnel Clerk will also maintain departmental personnel records as well as process civil service, payroll, and/or personnel forms and records. Additional examples of work include:
- Preparing and tracking forms and correspondence using Microsoft Office Suite upon request, to include Personnel Transaction Forms (PTFs), the roster of unclassified hires, increment approval forms, appointment letters, additional line appointments, timesheets, etc.
- Reviewing new employee documentation for completeness, advising employees of missing information or if other documentation and/or forms are needed in order to complete the hire process by referring to and following established guidelines, policies, and procedures. (This includes working papers, work authorizations, visas, etc.)
- Assisting the HR Director with calendar management as well as the preparation of memorandums, letters, reports, etc.
- Maintaining accurate and complete files (transcripts, employee files, leave request files, timesheets, etc.
- Following up on personnel procedures such as probationary, provisional, temporary, etc. appointments;
- Assisting with the canvassing process by preparing canvass letters to be sent to candidates on eligible lists and answering questions concerning the canvassing and appointment procedures.
- Maintaining adequate inventory of supplies; and initiating follow-up on purchase requisitions for labor law posters, staff members' professional memberships, etc.
- Preparing work orders for maintenance and/or repairs.
- Providing oversight and supervision over HR work study students by providing training, direction, work assignments and instructions; auditing their paperwork and completed tasks; and providing assistance, where needed.
- Providing assistance with benefits paperwork and transactions.
- All other duties, as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Possession of a high school or equivalency diploma and 3 years of experience where the primary responsibility of the position was processing personnel and/or payroll records in a computerized system. Strong interpersonal skills, writing skills, and computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite are required. The successful candidate must have the ability to work independently and manage/prioritize multiple concurrent projects to completion. S/he must also have the ability to handle a high volume of work and adapt to changing priorities. High levels of attention to detail and organization are required. *This is a Civil Service position. The final candidate will be required to take and pass the Civil Service Exam.*
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Previous work experience within an HR or Payroll Office strongly preferred. Knowledge of PeopleSoft HR system and/or experience with Human Resources Information Systems is also strongly preferred.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $48,268 plus competitive benefits.
Applicants interested MUST apply online by submitting a letter expressing interest in this position, a resume/CV, and contact information for three professional references. Please login to: https://sunywcc.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp in order to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents. The review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence, workforce development, economic development and lifelong learning. Westchester Community College is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer.