Post-Award Grants Lead
Posting DetailsPosting Details Posting NumberS04092PWorking TitlePost-Award Grants LeadDepartmentFACS Business OfficeAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/DepartmentCollege/Unit/Department websitehttp://www.fcs.uga.edu/Posting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRS or ORPEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
8am – 5pm, Monday thru Friday, occasional overtime as needed.Advertised SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosting Date10/03/2019Open until filledYesClosing DateProposed Starting Date11/25/2019Special Instructions to Applicants
All applicants that apply before November 3, 2019 will be reviewed and considered for interviews. References must be presented if chosen for interview.Location of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.Position Information Classification TitleGrants & Contracts ProfessionalPay GradeFLSAExemptJob FamilyFTE1.0Minimum Qualifications
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred QualificationsPosition Summary
The position is responsible for post-award accounting management of contract and grant accounts. The Post-Award Grants Lead performs a full range of grant management duties including reviewing and approving expenditures, monitoring budgets, calculating indirect costs, coordinating cost share efforts, oversight of sub-awards and assisting with financial reports. The position works closely with principal investigators, departmental staff, central business office, and Sponsored Projects Administration Post-Award to ensure financial compliance with grant/contract awards.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
*Strong organizational and time management skills; able to prioritize; detail oriented.
*Strong analytic and problem solving skills; able to interpret and/or research financial policies and procedures and formulate conclusions.
*Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
*Good listening skills and the able to communicate effectively across all levels.
*Proficient use of MS Office, especially Excel, Outlook and Word, and able to learn changing technologies.
*Able to work within a team environment, contribute to team and accomplish individual tasks and goals.
*Able to exercise sound judgement with sensitivity to identify matters that demand higher-level management consultation.
*Present a positive, professional and helpful attitude as well as being confidential when needed.
*Able to remember, organize, and consistently focus on large amounts of details and come to appropriate conclusions.
Normal office demands such as sitting or standing for long periods working on a computer. Light lifting of office file boxes. Extended periods of focused concentration.Is driving a responsibility of this position?Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?YesDoes this position require a P-Card? NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications)YesCredit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
- Responsible for all aspects of post-award grants management.
- Liaison for FACS representing faculty, departmental staff, and Sponsored Projects Administration to ensure financial compliance on grant/contract accounts.
- Responsible for developing and implementing new processes and procedures for grant expenditures including development of routine communications.
- Authority to approve for department business managers for grant funded expenditures as needed, setup of grant funded employees, monitoring end dates of grants and monthly reporting.
- Work with pre-award staff on annual reports to granting agencies, including assistance with preparation of personnel effort reports and financial expenditures for carryover requests.
- Monitor account balances and advise faculty and departmental accountants of potential problems and provide recommendations for corrective actions.
- Develop and implement self-audit procedures and processes for the College related to sponsored programs/grant funded expenditures.
- Provide burn rates and analysis of those burn rates for awarded projects to Department Heads and PIs.
- Uses results of burn rates analysis to provide feedback and guidance to Pre-Award Coordinator and PIs on future budget planning.
- Creates templates and other tools for forecasting spending for grants.
Budget Planning and Salary Setting:
- Responsible for setup of grant funded employees during the College’s annual budget planning process with the CBO
- Oversight in fiscal and personnel matters for grant funded employees including merit raise process.
- Manage College’s commitments for cost share accounts, sub-awards and over-the-cap activities.
- Manage, fund and report of startup commitments for College including providing reports to Chief Business Officer and Dean.
- Works with financial staff to advise on grant expenditures, reporting, and processes to refine and collaborate in resolving post-award accounting issues.
Attend regular staff meetings, attend university-wide Research Account Discussion Group meetings, and perform additional duties as requested.Percentage of time10 Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Attend Training and Development classes annually to improve skills and keep abreast of new and changing policies and procedures related to grants, accounting, budgets and payroll/HR.Percentage of time5Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- * Provide examples of how you handled difficult situations with those you have worked with.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * How many years of data management experience (including working with spreadsheets and Microsoft Excel) do you have?
- 0–1 years
- 2-4 years
- 5-7 years
- Over 8 years
- Cover Letter