Success and Career Advisor
Department:: Student Success and Career Planning
Locations:: Franklin, MA
Posted:: Oct 3, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-Time Fiscal Year
About Dean College:
Dean College is a private, residential New England college grounded in a culture and tradition that all students deserve the opportunity for academic and personal success. A uniquely supportive community since 1865, Dean has woven together extensive student support and engagement with exceptional teaching and innovative campus activities. Our graduates are lifetime learners who thrive in their careers, embrace social responsibility and demonstrate leadership. This is The Dean Difference.
Consistently recognized as a Top Regional College and a Best Value School by U.S. News & World Report and name a College of Distinction for four consecutive years, Dean Serves approximately 1,200 full-time students and 300 part-time students and offers over 50 combined bachelor's and associate degree programs and specializations, as well as a robust schedule of continuing studies and certificate programs throughout the year.
Dean College is perfectly situated in Franklin, Massachusetts, which is conveniently located between Boston and Providence, Rhode Island and is accessible to Boston by commuter rail. The Dean College/Franklin station is only a five-minute walk from campus. Approximately 90 percent of the College's student population live on campus.
Dean provides a supportive academic environment that thrives on student engagement and exceptional teaching. The Dean Difference is exemplified through each student's commitment to their professional futures, social responsibility and leadership. Outside of the classroom, students participate in 16 athletic teams and more than 30 on-campus groups and organizations.
Ninety-six percent of our bachelor's degree students are employed or enrolled in graduate school within 12 months of graduation. Alumni are hard at work in top-ranked graduate programs and are employed by organizations such as Universal Studios, Dell Technologies, Liberty Mutual, Kraft Sports Entertainment, the Boston Ballet, and more.
This full-time position works as a critical team member within a centralized advising and career center. The Success and Career Advisor will build relationships with their advisees, leverage innovative strategies and techniques to engage students, connect them to campus resources and facilitate their development to graduate with academic and career readiness skills through a campus-wide initiative, Dean Career Advantage. The qualified candidate's duties include working to assist students to progress toward degree completion and develop a career mindset through teaching courses, academic advising, academic monitoring, career development as well as counseling students on academic probation within designated majors. In addition, the qualified candidate oversees all aspects of international student services including maintaining SEVIS compliance, and international student support services including orientation, advising and programming for F1Visa students.
- Advise and serve as the point person for a caseload up to 150 students providing high touch, individualized support;
- Teach Dean Career Advantage (DCA) courses to support students in the process of navigating the college experience and developing a career mindset;
- Provide appropriate academic and transitional support to students applicable to all aspects of the student's life: academic, personal, social, and career;
- In collaboration with Deans and Program Coordinators develop initiatives and programs to connect students with the college, each other, and their field of study promoting student persistence, retention and academic and career learning;
- Track students' academic progress through the college's monitoring process and make appropriate interventions as necessary;
- Act as first contact for students regarding career exploration, major selection as it relates to future careers, resume writing and interviewing and developing an individualize career guide that will include internships and job seeking tools;
- Design, plan and execute individual and group advising sessions, classroom and campus presentations, networking and career events;
- Guide students to make appropriate course selections, assist with registration process, adding and dropping of courses and graduation tracking;
- Assist in the implementation of programs and services designed to promote academic, personal and social/emotional success, engagement and retention of students;
- Help students make connections with other faculty and staff including Residence Life, Counseling Services, Financial Services and the Learning Center;
- Serve as the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) and coordinate and implement services for International Students including immigration, orientation and programming;
- Serve on college committees;
- Work varied hours and weekends as requested;
- Other duties as required.
- Master's Degree required with experience in collegiate advising and counseling;
- Experience with F1 Visas and working knowledge of SEVIS compliance and passion for supporting international students;
- Preferred familiarity with a spectrum of learning styles;
- Experience working with diverse populations;
- Proficiency working collaboratively with groups;
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Technology proficient with computer skills used in educational institutions such as Ellucian Colleague and Microsoft Office Systems.
Dean College is an equal-opportunity, Title IX institution and pledges to recruit, select and promote diversity by providing equality of opportunity in higher education for all persons, including faculty and staff with respect to hiring, continuation, promotion, and applicants for admission, enrolled students and graduates without discrimination or segregation.
The College is interested in candidates who have the communication skills and cross-cultural abilities to maximize their effectiveness with diverse groups of colleagues, students, faculty, and community members. All employment decisions are made on a non-discriminatory basis. Dean College prohibits discrimination and harassment based on sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, work-related injury or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. This nondiscrimination policy covers admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in College programs, services, and activities. A pre-employment background screen is required for all employees and the College participates in the Federally-mandated E-Verify program.
The Assistant Dean of Students, located on the second floor of the Campus Center, telephone 508-541-1841, coordinates the college's compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 Act.
The Director of Human Resources on the first floor of Dean Hall, telephone, 508-541-1681 coordinates the college's compliance with titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act and amendments, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
The Dean College Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available on this link.
The Dean College Athletics Department is a Provisional Division III member of the NCAA and competes as a member of the New England Collegiate Conference (NECC), Eastern Collegiate Football Conference (ECFC), and the USCAA and complies with all NCAA Division III Rules and Regulations.
Please submit your Resume/CV, Cover Letter, all unofficial transcripts; and contact information of three references. (PLEASE NOTE: Applications that are incomplete will not be considered).
Note: After submitting your resume/CV, the subsequent page gives you instructions that enable you to upload your Cover Letter and any additional documents.
See the FAQ for using our online system.
Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Login to your Dean College Careers Account to check your completed application or upload additional documents.