Chemistry Instrument Specialist
Locations:: Oswego, NY
Posted:: Oct 2, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About SUNY Oswego:
Founded in 1861, SUNY Oswego is a public comprehensive university located in Central New York on the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, 45 minutes from Syracuse. One of 13 comprehensive colleges in the 64-campus State University of New York (SUNY) system, SUNY Oswego is recognized nationally for its academic quality, focus on student success outcomes, and the growing diversity of its student body. Ranked 11th among public master's-level universities in the 2019 "Top Regional Universities in the North" by U.S. News and World Report, SUNY Oswego is also recognized among Princeton Review's Best Regional Colleges in the Northeast - an honor bestowed on the college every year since 2003.
Inspired by a shared commitment to excellence and the desire to transcend traditional higher education boundaries, SUNY Oswego provides a transformative experience to 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The college offers preeminent academic programs in the arts and sciences, business, communications, and teacher education, and its success is built on providing students outstanding educational experiences with attention to a liberal arts and sciences foundation, practical applications, interdisciplinary approaches, independent scholarly and creative work, and skills for living in multicultural and global communities.
Oswego is committed to enhancing its diversity across the entire campus community. SUNY Oswego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is actively engaged in recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. We encourage applications from qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim SUNY status, or criminal conviction. Please click here to see our full non-discrimination policy.
In accordance with USCIS regulations, successful applicants must be legally able to work in the United States per the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
Requests for reasonable accommodations of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Human Resources Office by calling 315-312-2230 or emailing [email protected]
For Campus Safety information, please click here to see the Annual Security and Fire Report (Clery).
SUNY Oswego is a smoke free/tobacco/e-cigarette free campus. Click here for further policy details, including education and cessation resources.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Description of Department: The Department of Chemistry is an ACS accredited program with an active undergraduate research program and a small master's degree program. The department maintains one of the highest graduation rates of ACS certified degrees in the SUNY system. The department supports undergrad degrees in biochemistry, chemistry, environmental chemistry, geochemistry, a minor in forensic science and an MS Chemistry Masters degree. The department is well-equipped for teaching and research and continues to add new equipment and instruments every year. The Chemistry Department moved to a new 250,000 square foot, $118 million science building in August 2013.
The Department of Chemistry at the State University of New York at Oswego invites applications for a full time Chemistry Instrument Specialist.
Date Posted: October 2, 2019
Review Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Benefit Information: The State University of New York provides an excellent benefit package. Click here for more information on benefits for full-time United University Professions (UUP) professional staff or click here for a benefits summary.
Date of Appointment: As Soon As Possible
Description of Responsibilities: The Chemistry Instrument Specialist will be responsible for the efficient functioning of all departmental research and teaching instrumentation and equipment (https://www.oswego.edu/chemistry/facilities-new ). This involves the following responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Undertaking routine servicing, preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, and repairing the instruments and equipment and the overall condition of rooms that relate directly to chemistry instruments and equipment?submitting appropriate maintenance work orders for these rooms.
- Assisting in the modification of existing equipment, new equipment design and fabrication, research laboratory set-up, and faculty specific needs.
- Ordering and inventorying specialized instrumentation and equipment supplies, including specialty gases and cryogens.
- Assisting in the training and approval of new users on instruments and equipment.
- Assisting in the selection, purchase, and the use of instruments and equipment used in courses and research, including setting up vendor demos and updating and negotiating service contracts.
- Will maintain the department's tools and equipment required for the job and may supervise work-study program students in helping with assigned duties.
SUNY Oswego works continuously to create an inclusive environment which respects, embraces, and promotes cultural safety, belonging, civil discourse, cultural humility, and other values and goals outlined in SUNY Oswego's Strategic Diversity and Inclusion Plan (https://www.oswego.edu/diversity/). As such, the Chemistry Instrument Specialist will be expected to contribute to these efforts and possess communication and interpersonal skills necessary to engage effectively with an increasingly diverse community of students and colleagues.
- Bachelor's degree in science related field or a combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with the maintenance and upkeep of instrumentation and equipment.
- Ability to diagnose and solve problems with the minimum amount of supervision.
- Ability to complete projects in a timely manner with the minimum amount of supervision.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines for multiple tasks.
- Ability to interact well with faculty and students with a strong desire to assist them.
- Ability to communicate well with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Master's degree in science related field or a combination of education and related experience.
- Some experience in an academic unit within a higher education environment.
- Experience in the use of chemical instrumentation to make measurements.
- Extensive experience with liquid chromatography, gas chromatography, NMR, Mass spectrometry, and/or optical spectroscopy instrumentation.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact:
Fehmi Damkaci, Search Committee Chair
Official transcripts are required prior to hiring. Files must be complete to be considered.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Submit a cover letter addressing qualifications, resume, copies of unofficial transcripts for required degree showing degree awarded and date conferred, and contact information for three professional references (only the three referees listed in your Interview Exchange application can be considered and contacted) electronically by clicking on the APPLY NOW button.
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please click here to login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
Please click CONTACT US if you need assistance applying through this website.