Assistant/Associate Professor of Clinical
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-10-02
If you are a current employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami (UM) is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented workforce to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the world.
Clinical and Service Operations
• Act as Director of Pediatric Emergency Services for Jackson Health Systems where Pediatric Emergency Departments exist.
• Position is an academic position at the University of Miami, but will have working relationship with Jackson Health System leadership to enhance the clinical protocols and efficiencies to standardize care across the Pediatric Emergency Departments at Jackson.
• Will participate in clinical coverage of the Jackson Health Systems Pediatric Emergency Room.
• Collaborate with ED nursing leadership, emergency physicians and advanced practice provider (APP) staff, and hospital administration to ensure the ED care delivery model achieves high- quality emergency care and evolves to match the needs of the
patients, the department, the hospital, and the community.
• Develop, maintain, update, and implement departmental policies, procedures, and protocols.
• Ensure providers are aware of and compliant with departmental, hospital, and medical staff policies.
• Work to ensure that medical staff policies support the department and hospital vision for ED care.
• Perform quality assurance and lead improvement initiatives within the department.
• Serve as chair or co-chair of the Emergency Services Committee or its equivalent.
• Work to ensure effective communication between ED physicians and APPs and other hospital medical staff.
• Have membership in or chair hospital committees as appropriate. These may include a medical staff executive committee and committees for disaster preparedness, critical care, quality improvement, case management, risk management, utilization review, etc.
Participate in risk management activities including communication with facility legal representative(s) concerning relevant departmental issues. Work with ED staff to identify and mitigate areas of high risk.
• Identify and participate in, and/or provide opportunities for, ongoing focused education courses for/by the ED staff, as appropriate to the staff, patient population, and facility needs.
• Additional teaching or supervisory responsibilities may exist in teaching facilities.