Assistant Professor, School of Kinesiology & Nutrition
Assistant Professor, School of Kinesiology & NutritionThe University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Assistant Professor, School of Kinesiology & Nutrition.
Position Details LocationHattiesburg
118 College Drive
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 39406-0001
United States DivisionKinesiology Position TypeFaculty Employment StatusFull Time Grant FundedNo Posting Close DateOpen Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants should include a cover letter with information detailing potential for high-quality teaching and scholarship, a curriculum vitae, a research agenda, a list of three professional references and official transcripts. Review of applications will begin Fall 2019. Anticipated start date is the Fall of 2020. All questions concerning this position should be directed to Dr. Scott Piland ([email protected]), Professor & Director, School of Kinesiology & Nutrition.
The University ofSouthern Mississippi invites applicants for a full-time, nine-month,tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor, within the Schoolof Kinesiology & Nutrition, in the College of Education and HumanSciences. The School administers programs in ExerciseScience, Sport Coaching Education, Nutrition and Dietetics, and K-12 PhysicalEducation Licensure. The ideal candidatewould be qualified to teach courses that support the Exercise Science programs(primarily Exercise Physiology).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1) Commitment to build and sustain a robust research agenda to include creation and dissemination of new knowledge;
2) Pursuit of external research support;
3) Teach graduate and undergraduate coursework;
4) Supervise undergraduate and graduate-level research;
5) Assist with the assessment and evaluation of programs;
6) Advise/mentor undergraduate and graduate students; and
7) Provides service to the School, College, University, and professional organizations and performs other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
- Earned doctorate in Kinesiology (or closely related field) with the expertise and qualifications to support the Exercise Science programs.
- Demonstrated line of scholarly inquiry related to Exercise Physiology evidenced by submission of peer-reviewed publications, professional presentations and/or grant submissions.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially with students, staff, and faculty from diverse backgrounds, programs, and colleges.
- Expertise in Exercise Physiology and/or exercise metabolism and/or sports nutrition
- Experience in teaching Exercise Physiology course
- Experience supervising/mentoring students
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites in central and southern Mississippi, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 130 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and sport venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 40 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of approximately 15,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 36 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 24 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.