Digital Content and Social Media Specialist
Posting DetailsJob Posting Information Vacancy TypeSHRAIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime Limited?NoTime-Limited Appointment LengthTitlePublic Communication SpecialistBand LevelJourneyWorking TitleDigital Content and Social Media SpecialistSalary Range$31,200 - $83,965Anticipated Hiring Range$48,000 - $51,750Salary Grade Equivalency69Position Number00000390Work ScheduleM-F 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM with occasional evening and weekends due to need to cover College eventsDoes the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count).NoFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.0Department120101 - College of DesignDepartmentCollege of DesignJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The External Relations office advances the mission of the College of Design by effectively communicating its academic excellence and impact on society, building relationships with external constituencies, and enhancing its resources. As part of external relations, College of Design marketing and communications is responsible for managing all aspects of the college’s online presence and overall Web strategy. Communications directs, manages and implements the College’s Web content strategy, development, design, consistent brand messaging, online marketing strategies, user experience, and interaction design for college’s Web presence.Essential Job Duties
This position plays a critical role in expanding the College of Design’s online and digital presence, engaging key audiences while building distribution channels for our content.
The Digital Content and Social Media Specialist will play a critical role in College of Design’s marketing and communications efforts by maintaining and managing technical communications activities including the website, social media presence, and the DesignLife digital newsletter. The position is responsible for developing and writing exceptional copy for the College of Design’s online presence that follows content strategy best practices, communicates key College brand and strategic plan messages, and fulfills the College of Design’s communications and marketing strategic goals.
In line with the College’s brand platform and in coordination with larger departmental efforts, the position is responsible for executing strategic social media and digital initiatives, including developing and managing social marketing campaigns, creating and monitoring statistics, and integrating interactive media into the overall College content strategy.
The role is responsible for designing, coding, and modifying the College website, from layout to function and according to best practices and internal specifications, striving to create a visually appealing site that features user-friendly design and clear navigation.Other Work/Responsibilities
Will report to, and work closely with Director of Marketing Communications and Public Relations.
- Update, design, and implement the College website using the integration of media-rich technologies (blogs, social media feeds, web forms, content management systems, etc.) Maintain social media posts, feeds, tags, and images.
- Implement DesignLife e-newsletter content, format, and manage distribution and contact database.
- Establish and manage essential archiving process for web content
- Assist faculty with the design and implementation of web/social media related efforts
- Provide web content strategy for structure and new functionality
- Adhere to College and University branding standards as related to web and social media marketing efforts
- Coordinate with College IT staff to implement the Web site while ensuring Web site meets university standards.
- Provide new media strategy for marketing and promotion of all College-related activities
- Work with faculty and the College community to identify newsworthy content
- Keep current on new technologies and implement into existing frameworks
- Maintain all list serves, mailing lists, email databases, etc.
- Develop archiving system for print and digital assets
- Develop and maintain a marketing resources library of images and content assets
- Photograph images for print and digital media
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Departmental Required Skills
- Requires knowledge of email systems such as MailChimp.
- Exceptional writing and editing ability.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of social media channels and their audiences to develop targeted messages.
- High level proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite™ (Creative Cloud) or similar software
- Experience with email systems/databases, list serves, online surveys, and Google apps or similar products.
- Experience with online video and audio codecs and compression technology.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work well with faculty, staff, and University communications officers, College constituents and vendors
- Ability to work with limited supervision, proven writing and editing experience as well as an understanding of web, digital, and social media metrics to inform editorial and brand development.
- Ability to publish web content to ensure readability and audience appeal necessary to perform job duties.
- Ability to manage both technical and communications aspects of account platforms for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, Flickr, Vimeo, Mailchimp, Survey Monkey, and other platforms as needed.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience with tracking software such as Google Analytics.
- Ability to assist with content development for other websites and outreach materials
- Ability to photograph and video events [or learn basic photography skills in order to do so].
- Ability to oversee compliance with University and College branding standards
- Ability to promote College events and work as a member of the external relations team to execute development efforts
- Graduation from a four-year college or university preferably with a major in Journalism, Communications, English, or a directly related field, and at least 2 years experience writing and developing web and social media content.
- Minimum 2 years experience in a digital content editorial role. Experience with higher education content a plus.
- Minimum 2 years practical experience in web development and content management.
In addition to your fully completed application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and the contact information for 2-3 professional references.
In addition to resume, cover letter, and contact information for 2-3 professional references, please include the following in your attached documents:
- Links (or samples) of websites, blogs, etc., that you have created or managed – upload under Required Documents “Other Document 1”
- Any additional work samples (optional) – upload under Optional Documents “Other Document 2”
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Public Communication Specialist position.
- Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in a related field
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in an unrelated field and four years of related experience
- Associate's in a related and two years of related experience
- Combination of post-high school education and/or experience in a related field to equal at least 4 years (ex. 1 year towards a related degree and 3 years of related experience)
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and related experience to equal 8 years (ex. 1 year of high school and 7 years of related experience)
- None of the above
- * Do you have demonstrated high-level proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Creative Cloud) software?
- * Do you have 1 - 2 years of experience in communication, journalism, or other closely related category? If yes, please briefly describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please include a brief paragraph which describes what you believe you can bring to this position, and what qualities you possess that would make you the perfect candidate.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References
- Other Document (1)
- Other Document (2)