Research Specialist I
Position DetailsPosition Details Job TitleRESEARCH SPECIALIST IPosition Number8150648Job CategoryUniversity StaffJob TypeFull-TimeFLSA StatusExemptCampusMaywood-Health Sciences CampusDepartment NameDEPARTMENT OF CANCER BIOLOGYLocation CodeDept of Cancer Biology (06311A)Is this split and/or fully grant funded? YesDuties and Responsibilities
- Carries out animal related experiments as instructed by Principle Investigator (PI). This position is primarily focused on animal research.
- Assists with experimental procedures involving tissue or cell cultures, prepares reagents and solutions, and makes direct experimental measurements.
- Performs basic lab techniques required to complete the project. Techniques required include animal care and procedures.
- Gathers, organizes, and records data. Performs simple analysis of results. May assist with library and/or electronic research. Incorporates new protocols and methodology into work as directed by PI and/or senior lab staff.
- May assist in ordering lab supplies when required. Maintains orderly records of purchases.
- Maintains a safe and orderly lab environment. Ensures compliance with safety regulations.
- Performs techniques and assist with experiments specific to lab and in accordance with direction from individual PI.
- Performs related duties assigned.
Required: Bachelors Degree
Specify Degree(s): Molecular Biology, Biology, Biochemistry or Chemistry
Required: 3-5 years of previous job-related experience
- Must be willing and able to handle and manipulate mice for experimentation.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in written form.
- Ability to deal calmly and courteously with people.
- Ability to organize workload and finish tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions and established procedures.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and consistency.
- Experience with sterile technique and mammalian cell culture.
- Experience with microbiological and molecular biological techniques.
Experience with animal research is required.Computer Skills
Microsoft Office suite of programs;Supervisory ResponsibilitiesNoRequired operation of university owned vehiclesNoDoes this position require direct animal or patient contact? YesPhysical DemandsLifting, Standing, Repetitive MotionsWorking ConditionsLighting, Heating, Ventilation, Odors, Noise, AnimalsOpen Date10/02/2019Close DateSpecial Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://www.careers.luc.edu/postings/12465Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree in Molecular Biology, Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, or a related field?
- * Do you have at least three years of previous job-related experience?
- * Do you have previous animal (mouse) handling experience?
- Do you have experience performing small animal (mouse and rat) surgery?
- * Why do you want to work for Loyola University Chicago?
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application