Director of Academic Innovation
Department: Academic Innovation
Recruitment #: S1973
Application Deadline: Preference given to applications received by November 1, 2019. Position open until filled.
Western Oregon University offers an excellent benefits package for eligible employees which includes 95% premium paid healthcare, a generous retirement and vacation package, and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities. http://www.wou.edu/hr/benefits/
Department / Job Summary:
Western Oregon University (WOU) seeks a dynamic, collaborative, and creative individual to serve as the Director of Academic Innovation to help us meet the challenges of a 21st century learning environment. This is an exciting and transitional time at Western Oregon University as the Academic Innovation unit evolves and develops a new vision to continue to help students, faculty, and staff achieve success through transformative education and personalized support.
As WOU seeks to increase its online, hybrid and technologically enhanced course offerings, this unit will play a critical role in providing training and instructional design support that will maximize the quality of instruction and application of pedagogical best practices for those courses. The Academic Innovation unit will also provide high-quality, timely, innovative professional development to support instruction at WOU.
The Director of Academic Innovation provides leadership and administrative management for development of existing and new courses and programs offered in online, hybrid, and face-to-face formats, with an emphasis on technology-enhanced and innovative pedagogy. The Director coordinates services, provides direct instructional design support, and serves as a resource for faculty professional development. This position reports to the Dean of Library and Academic Innovation.
The responsibilities of the Director of Academic Innovation shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supports faculty and staff in the development and refinement of course materials and other instructional projects involving the use of technology.
- Collaborates with faculty and other stakeholders to design, develop and support high-quality online, hybrid and on-campus courses.
- Collaborates with faculty, staff, and administrators to build a thriving and vital teaching and learning community.
- Leads both formal and informal training opportunities for faculty and staff in the effective uses of technology for teaching and learning.
- Develops and maintains a course evaluation process based on best practices and evaluates external evaluation instruments (QM, or others) for potential future adoption.
- Implements instructional concepts to build digital materials that promote learning.
- Reviews existing online courses to identify and suggest revisions based on instructional design principles and the vision for online presence that WOU is advancing.
- Develops, maintains, oversees, and coordinates faculty training and development activities that encourage innovative use of technology for teaching and learning;
- Acts as a resource for faculty and staff regarding the design and development of technology-based instructional materials that are universally accessible by all students.
- Trains, supervises, and mentors two .49FTE graduate assistants and two full time support specialists
- Engages in continuous assessment of Academic Innovation services
- Provides expertise in current industry standards and principles of good practice.
- Stays current through research of learning and technology trends and represents the university by participating in collaborative research into teaching and learning, professional development, conferences, and organizations.
- Makes research-based recommendations for implementation of teaching and learning technology.
Desired Attributes and Personal Qualities WOU is looking for a Director of Academic Innovation who embodies the following attributes and personal qualities:
- Flexible and able to work and thrive in a rapidly evolving environment
- Highly approachable and passionate about collaborating with faculty in both one-to-one, and group settings
- Demonstrates strong soft skills and interest in mentoring staff, faculty, and colleagues
- Displays strong leadership skills or potential while promoting a positive and engaged work environment that is respectful of employees, with equitable support for employee development
- Demonstrates commitment to diversity in serving the WOU campus; is aware of and committed to issues of equality and equity appropriate to WOU (e.g., understanding financial characteristics of WOU students, the digital divide, first generation college students)
We are not considering candidates who require Visa sponsorship support. Additionally, the university typically only considers visa support for employees placed in specialized positions that are continuing regular university appointments.
- Master's degree or post-baccalaureate certificate in Instructional Design, Educational Technology, or a closely related field, or an academic Master's degree with significant additional training and experience in Instructional Design or Educational Technology.
- Minimum of two (2) years of demonstrated experience in applying best practices in instructional design for online/hybrid/technologically-enhanced education.
- Minimum of one (1) year supervisory experience.
- Experience training faculty in an educational environment.
- Evidence of passion for innovation and collaboration.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing a climate that is supportive of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability in a continuously changing environment.
- Scholarship and experience with online/hybrid/technologically-enhanced pedagogy.
- Scholarship and experience with online/hybrid/technologically-enhanced academic technologies, including software, apps, web, social media, and hardware.
- Experience with higher education applications of universal design, open educational resources, and open source technologies.
- Teaching experience in higher education.
- Experience with course evaluation instruments.
- Experience in learning management system (LMS) administration (Moodle LMS preferred).
- Experience with budgeting, strategic planning, grant writing, and leadership.
**A criminal background check will be required as a condition of employment
You may submit all materials online at www.wou.edu/prostaffapp
Required application materials (PDF preferred):
- WOU Employment Application available at www.wou.edu/prostaffapp
- Letter of application that addresses each qualification of the position. Please include how your experience, education, and/or training might help us build a more inclusive, collaborative, and diverse community
- Contact information for three references
- Copy of unofficial transcripts for highest degree earned
As an alternative, you may also submit application materials to:
S1973, Director, CAI, Human Resources, Western Oregon University, 345 Monmouth Ave N, Monmouth, OR 97361; OR E-mail to [email protected]; OR fax to: 503-838-8144
Western Oregon University is an AA/EOE/Veteran/Disability employer and is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.