Senior Director of Advancement Operations - University Library (122793)
Senior Director of Advancement Operations
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University Library and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement invites applications and nominations for a full-time Senior Director of Advancement Operations.
Our library fuels the dreamers; gives hope and knowledge to the intellectually hungry; and stokes the inquiry that made our University what it is today. The University Library is our most precious resource and an institution we should all take pride in, fight to preserve, and prepare for the future. In an age of new technology within a rapidly-changing global world, we must take new measures to advance the impact of the traditional library as it enters a new century. Only a library with our size, innovation, and expertise is prepared to take on the information challenges our next century will present.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
On October 13, 2017, the University publicly launched its fourth comprehensive campaign. “With Illinois” is the most ambitious philanthropic initiative in its history. The goal is to raise $2.25 billion in support of Illinois students, faculty, research, and infrastructure; and to continue to elevate the values that make Illinois distinctive: a sense of boundless aspiration, collaborative research, and global perspective.
The Senior Director of Advancement Operations is responsible for assisting in the management of the University Library Advancement infrastructure including development efforts, stewardship activities, event management, student and alumni affairs, and annual fund functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In partnership with the Dean of Libraries, lead, execute and develop a collaborative advancement strategy at the college level, encompassing all departments and units
- In partnership with the Dean of Libraries, develop and implement initiatives that assist University Library in shaping their advancement and development programs. Work closely with advancement staff to provide training and resources to enhance the culture of giving across the University Library Advancement infrastructure and to positively impact the effectiveness of the University Library Advancement infrastructure advancement efforts
- Work closely with the University Library Advancement infrastructure to develop, implement and manage all Office of Advancement marketing efforts including list review, communication pieces, marketing and public relations opportunities and social media campaigns
- Manage and supervise assigned advancement staff, including administrators, professionals in special events, alumni relations, stewardship and annual funds. Develops training materials orients and mentors new advancement professionals. Provide feedback and conduct performance evaluations
- Ensure that Library-level advancement activity in alumni relations and special events is strategic and closely aligned with the University Library’s goals and priorities
- Work closely with the Office of the Vice Chancellor of Institutional Advancement to develop gift stewardship strategies and support cultivation opportunities for current and future donors to the University Library
- Work collaboratively with major gift officers of the OVCIA/Regional and Library Advancement team regarding prospective donor/existing donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship efforts support cultivation opportunities for current and future donors to the University Library
- Organize regular advancement committee meetings among unit/department staff (stewardship, alumni relations and special events) to ensure alignment with college and campus practices, standards and expectations
- Serve as a consultant on engagement, stewardship, marketing and special event plans for the University Library Advancement departments and programs to ensure they meet campus standards and serve Library priorities
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director of Advancement and Library major gift officers regarding prospective donor/existing donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship efforts.
- Represent the University Library Advancement infrastructure and its department at University, campus, college and department events, meetings and committees, including search committees for open advancement positions
- Maintain familiarity with current academic issues in higher education and retains knowledge and understanding of the disciplines within the University Library Advancement infrastructure
- Oversee the collection and dissemination of information to and from staff members
- Assume appropriate related additional duties to further the mission of the unit
- Bachelor’s degree
- Seven years of advancement experience.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills and experience working in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Personnel management and supervisory experience, including delegating tasks and managing performance.
- Strong relationship management skills for work with donors, alumni, faculty and senior administrators.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and to exhibit good judgement in making decisions concurrent with University policy.
- Understands and adheres to the Association of Fundraising Professionals Donor Bill of Rights, which is endorsed by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement.
- Master’s degree
- Knowledge of advancement strategies including best practices related to development at institutions of higher education
- Previous experience working with faculty leaders
Competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by October 16, 2019. Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, resume and the names, address, phone numbers and email addresses of three professional references. For more information regarding application procedures, contact Brenda Morris at [email protected]. Proposed starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Interviews may take place prior to the closing date; however, no decision will be made until after that date.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit:University Library Category:2-Administrative Title:Senior Director of Advancement Operations - University Library (122793) Open Date:10/02/2019 Organization Name:Ofc VC Inst Advancement