Human Resources Assistant
Human Resources Assistant
About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Human Resources Assistant
State Job Title: Administrative Assistant I
Department: Human Resources
Job Code: N15X01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Bargaining Unit: NUC
Job Type: Full-Time Permanent
Timeframe: 52 Weeks
Shift: Monday-Friday 9 a.m. -5 p.m.
Regular Days Off: Saturday and Sunday
Supervision Received: The Administrative Assistant I receives general supervision from the Director, Human Resources.
Supervision Exercised: N/A
Salary: $1,707.31 Bi-Weekly
General Statement of Duties: Provides administrative support to the Office of Human Resources, Inclusion, Diversity and Equity; prepares and maintains the department's budget; coordinates HR sponsored events; processes employee evaluations and maintains evaluation schedules, background checks, and tuition waivers; provides administrative support to the Staff Emeriti Committee; coordinates SERV program and COMECC campaign; assists applicants with online hiring process; assists departmental staff to meet deadlines and to achieve department goals and objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Provides effective and efficient customer service; provides administrative support to Director and departmental staff.
- Prepares and maintains the Human Resources budget; uses Banner Self-Service to process purchase orders; processes payments and vendor contracts; processes travel documents/making travel arrangements, processes expense reports; reconciles monthly P-card expenditures for the department; and resolves payment and billing discrepancies.
- Processes Non-Unit, APA and AFSCME employee evaluations and maintains evaluation schedules. Suggests revisions as needed in accordance with the appropriate collective bargaining agreements.
- Processes background checks on campus employees, nursing and socials work students/faculty, College for Kids instructors/volunteers, Rock Climbing Wall staff, and athletic camps; maintains CORI records.
- Plans, organizes, and/or oversees HR sponsored events, including Employee Recognition Reception. Reserves facilities, setup, and catering for HR sponsored training and development programs.
- Creates and maintains employee personnel files (current and former employees); responsible for filing HR and Payroll documents in employee files; and provides Registrar with quarterly updates of senior Administration and Administration listings for the University undergraduate catalog.
- Provides administrative support to the Director for the AFSCME and APA Grievance process; accepts grievance submissions; maintains grievance records, and may perform research related to grievances.
- AFSCME reallocation process; corresponds with appellants and their supervisors regarding job description updates; assists with job/desk audits; prepares materials for hearings, coordinates arrangements.
- Provides administrative support to the WSU Birthday Recognition program.
- Acts as Human Resources liaison to Staff Emeriti Committee. Provides administrative support to the committee: schedules and prepares all materials for meetings; maintains staff emeriti files; prepares related Board materials; and provides necessary information to Marketing, Academic Affairs, and President's Office for certificates, and invitations to nominees.
- Verifies tuition waiver eligibility and prepares tuition waivers.
- Orders office and copier supplies; arranges for service on printer/copier as needed; orders flowers for funerals; orders sympathy cards and coordinates signatures/mailing.
- Coordinates SERV program: notifies the campus regarding volunteer opportunities and verifies eligibility of agencies.
- Coordinates Commonwealth of Massachusetts Employees Charitable Campaign (COMECC) drive, notifying campus and tracking donations annually.
- Assists the HR Coordinator as needed in the online hiring system
- Prepares queries and reports using Warehouse, Access, and Excel.
- Assists other Office of Human Resources, Inclusion, Diversity and Equity staff as necessary to complete departmental goals and objectives.
- Other duties as assigned
- Delivers and picks up departmental mail.
Qualifications Required at Hire:
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to gather information through questioning individuals and by examining records and documents.
- Ability to write concisely, to express thoughts clearly and to develop ideas in logical sequence.
- Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of data, to draw conclusions and to make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to prepare general reports.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to provide written and verbal instructions in a precise, understandable manner.
- Ability to work independently and without direct supervision.
Qualifications Acquired on Job:
- Ability to make correct referrals, respond to inquiries, and assist applicants with online hiring system; working knowledge of policies and procedures of Human Resources functions; proficiency in operating hardware, software, and office equipment assigned to the Office of Human Resources, Inclusion, Diversity and Equity.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
- Must have at least two years of full-time or equivalent part-time experience in office work or any of the substitutions listed in the state specifications.
For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for this position may be found at the department of higher education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.asp
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An online application is required. A resume and cover letter may be attached but this is not required.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin October 11, 2019. The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalist have been selected.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=116411
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency