Job location: Main Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-09-30
Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at
email@example.com or by calling 864-294-2217.Job Title:Systems AdministratorJob Family:ProfessionalsFull-Time/Part-Time:Full timeCompensation Grade:8SPay Type:SalaryDepartment:Systems and NetworksJob Summary:The Systems Administrator is a professional member of Furman University’s Information Technology
Services Division, reporting to the Director of Systems and Networks. The Systems Administrator,
provides skilled management of UNIX/Linux systems and servers, the central university backup
system, as well as Domain Naming System/Service. The Systems Administrator coordinates
maintenance, changes, installations and upgrades to these systems. Provides operating systems
consultation and support for user services to meet the needs of the faculty, staff and students.
Provides programming support for the implementation and maintenance of automated departmental
procedures. Provides technical expertise as needed for the migration of the University email systems.Job Description:
1. UNIX/Linux administration:
- Builds and installs systems as requested.
- Performs OS upgrades and patches
- Deploys, configures and monitors, software, security, performance and reliability for
servers, including application servers, database and transaction servers, etc.
Consults with departmental academic specialists on OS and hardware needs
- Shell scripting
- Migrates applications/services to new servers/hardware/VMware
- Repairs and Recovers services due to hardware or software failures. Coordinates and
communicates with impacted constituencies.
- Deploys and manages virtual machines in the management of servers.
2. Manages day-to-day issuance of IP addresses, DHCP reservations and DNS entries.
3. Maintains and manages Linux or UNIX-based server technologies, including:
- Web servers (Apache, Tomcat, etc)
- Digital certificates (mod_ssl, openssl, Windows, etc)
- Application servers
- Operating system updates
4. Administers university backup system:
- Performs OS upgrades and patches
- Installs and configures backup client and server software
- Jointly responsible for backing up of all critical campus-wide information systems daily,
using both full and incremental backups and approved tools and procedures.
- Accurately logs all backups
- Secures and stores Backup data in accordance with University requirements
- Consults on backup needs of the university
- Assists in the restoration of systems and data
- This backup requirement and/or restore of critical files is a 24/7 responsibility, and
incumbent is expected to provide said service on demand.
- Maintains up to date backups, retention policies, documentation, and backup integrity
5. Provides experienced patch management of Linux and Windows based systems as required
6. Participates in on-call duties or after-hours work required to support enterprise needs.
7. Provides backup support to other team members
8. Collaborates with Academic Specialists for OS and integration expertise in support of academic
and faculty needs.
9. Maintains current and up-to-date system logs and procedure manuals.
10. Maintains current skills necessary to assume primary and secondary responsibilities.
11. Applies state-of-the-art technology to meet requirements and improve system operations.
12. Manages implementation and renewal of SSL certificates.
13. Completes performance review process with supervisor to understand job performance
expectations and how they fit into the department and university goals.
14. Pursues professional development to keep pace with demands for services and
information; including maintaining up to date information about the department and university.
15. Performs other duties as required.
Daily contact with members of own work unit, immediate supervisor, and members of other
departments to plan, coordinate, problem solve, present information, and make suggestions
related to mutual goals.
Frequent contact with student employees, other departmental staff, liaisons, faculty and staff to
plan, coordinate, problem solve, present information, and make suggestions related to mutual
Occasional contact with faculty and students to plan, coordinate, problem solve, present
information, and make suggestions related to mutual goals.
Occasional contact with software and hardware vendors and retirees to exchange factual
information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or functions.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or steps. Work involves choosing
the appropriate option or procedure to follow and applying established rules and procedures.
Errors may be detected within the department or section in which they occur, but may affect the
work of others within the unit to trace errors and make corrections.
Reports To: Director of Systems and Technology
Work is performed independently except where the interpretation of law, policy, rule, complex
procedure or request for exception is required.
Bachelors Degree preferred with 3-5 years experience in related field.
5 years experience managing Linux in enterprise networked environments including Bind
DNS, CentOS 6+, RedHat OS, shell scripting.
Extensive experience deploying and managing physical and virtual machines including VMware
3 years experience integrating directory and user authentication systems including Microsoft
Active Directory, SAML and more.
5 years experience in a multi-user Linux/UNIX operating environment including standard
utilities, system management tools and SAN/NAS storage concepts.
5 years experience preferred managing web servers and digital certificates for Linux based
3 years experience deploying or administering Apache, Tomcat, PHP,MySQL stacks.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work well both independently
and as a member of a team.
Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, administrators, staff and students.
Work is performed under usual office conditions.