Clerk III - Auxiliary Enterprises Human Resources
Clerk III - Auxiliary Enterprises Human Resources
Job no: 503165
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Auxiliary Services
Union: Non-Unit Non-Exempt
Categories: Administrative/Office Support
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the general supervision of the Human Resources Supervisor, individual is responsible for customer service and management of the front desk staff of Auxiliary Enterprises Human Resources Office including supervising and training HR clerical assistant and student staff in all aspects of their jobs. Additional responsibilities include processing personnel transactions, time & attendance for payroll purposes, maintaining files and records, answering inquiries, preparing documents and reports as well as other related duties.
- Supervise and train HR clerical and student staff.
- Plan and organize the work of clerical and student staff.
- Update required forms and packets as needed
- Prepare and/or process personnel actions such as promotions, appointments, demotions, terminations, transfers and leaves of absence.
- Process student, non-benefited hourly, non-exempt and exempt payroll through Kronos and PeopleSoft systems.
- Perform entire graduate student hiring process including completing graduate hourly PAFs, coordinate filing system to verify the graduate student is active on PeopleSoft and then ensure all hours are paid correctly via late pays.
- Report to AE Human Resources Supervisor or AE Human Resources Manager regarding employee labor relations issues shared by operational managers. Provide information in response to inquiries about general personnel and human resources issues, employment opportunities, and rules and regulations governing employment.
- Establish and maintain personnel files to include filing materials such as progressive discipline and other employee labor relations documentation, correspondence, reports, time cards, accident reports and other material associated with human resources and personnel functions.
- Investigate and resolve problems/questions with paychecks.
- Assist with employee searches by collecting application materials, maintaining search records, sending acknowledgement and rejection letters; maintain working knowledge of search guidelines and Equal Opportunity and Diversity policies.
- Attend various meetings and training sessions to learn new programs and processes.
- Serve on departmental and University-wide committees as required.
- Coordinate and track all performance management documents including, creating forms, sending to managers, tracking returned documents and following up on documents not returned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Operates motor vehicle to travel to work sites.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Must have High School Diploma or equivalent education.
- At least (1) one year of full-time or equivalent part-time experience in Human Resources Management in the following areas: employment administration, timekeeping/payroll, human resources information systems administration
- Good command of the English language to include ability to read, comprehend and compose forms, letters and reports.
- Attention to detail and ability to work accurately with names, numbers and symbols.
- Ability to exercise discretion in dealing with confidential information.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to apply rules, regulations and policies governing Human Resources activities.
- Ability to organize information and maintain accurate records.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access).
- Effective verbal communications.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships at the workplace.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Sep 30 2019 Eastern Daylight Time