Student Assistant - SEED Mini-Grant - Gunay
Position Title:Student Assistant - SEED Mini-Grant - Gunay Job Category:Student Department:School of Science and Technology SEED - 6010661 Division:Academic Affairs Required Documents:Cover Letter, Resume, Student Detailed Class Schedule Position Statement:
Founded in 2005, Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC) is one of 28 institutions within the University System of Georgia. GGC is a premier 21st century liberal arts institution accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Serving nearly 13,000 students, GGC’s innovative practices, caring culture, and extremely affordable tuition are changing the game in higher education and changing the future for students at all levels, of all ages, and from all walks of life. Gwinnett County (pop. 920,000+) is home to a variety of businesses, including organizations involved in health care, education and information technology.Description:
The Student Assistant is housed in the Office of the Dean of the School of Science & Technology and reports to the Principal Investigator of the Mini-Grant. This will include various activities related to the work of the Mini-Grant. These activities may include, but are not limited to: lab preparation, lab research, tutoring of students, data collection, data analysis, documentation, writing reports, and making presentations. Optionally travel to local and national scientific conferences.
- Read scientific manuscripts and advance research
- Work with Matlab or Python to do statistical analyses
- Writing reports, manuscripts, tutorials, and making presentations
- Training other research students
BENEFITS TO STUDENTS
- Practicing scientific programming and data analytics
- Learning about neuroscience, details of neurons and their function
- Practicing skills for scientific communication, problem solving, analytic reasoning, and critical thinking
- Being part of a research lab with several past and present members at GGC and other research institutions
- Must be enrolled a minimum of 6 credits at Georgia Gwinnett College, in good academic standing, and maintain good academic standing for the duration of employment.
- Must have completed appropriate math, IT, biology, chemistry, or physics classes with outstanding performance.
- Student job applicants and student employees must be in good standing with the campus Office of Student Conduct.
- Must be good at simple arithmetic, statistics, quantitative analysis, measurements, and unit conversion.
- Interest or knowledge in neuroscience, psychology, or scientific computing fields.
- Have at least one course completed in statistics
- Have reasonable experience with reading scientific manuscripts, understanding them, and analyzing their results.
- Have some programming experience or completed course (e.g., ITEC 2120 or 2140).
- Be able to work independently and persistently to solve research problems.
Due to the volume of applications, applicants may not receive a reply from the College unless an applicant is selected for an interview. Review of applications will continue until positions are filled. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States and proof of eligibility will be contemporaneously required upon acceptance of an employment offer. Any resulting employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation and credit check if applicable to the position, as determined by Georgia Gwinnett College in its sole discretion. Georgia Gwinnett College, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or religion. Georgia is an open records state.
Position may require local travel. Ability to lift and carry files and materials. Ability to move from one office to another office on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the phone and in writing. Applicant must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.Work Hours:Position may require non-standard work hours (nights and weekends). This is a part-time student assistant position up to 25 hours per week. Position Status:Part-Time FLSA:Non-exempt