1. UNIX/Linux administration:
- Builds and installs systems as requested.
- Performs OS upgrades and patches
- Deploys, configures and monitors, software, security, performance and reliability for
Consults with departmental academic specialists on OS and hardware needs
- Shell scripting
- Migrates applications/services to new servers/hardware/VMware
- Repairs and Recovers services due to hardware or software failures. Coordinates and
- Deploys and manages virtual machines in the management of servers.
3. Maintains and manages Linux or UNIX-based server technologies, including:
- Web servers (Apache, Tomcat, etc)
- Digital certificates (mod_ssl, openssl, Windows, etc)
- Application servers
- Operating system updates
- Performs OS upgrades and patches
- Installs and configures backup client and server software
- Jointly responsible for backing up of all critical campus-wide information systems daily,
- Accurately logs all backups
- Secures and stores Backup data in accordance with University requirements
- Consults on backup needs of the university
- Assists in the restoration of systems and data
- This backup requirement and/or restore of critical files is a 24/7 responsibility, and
- Maintains up to date backups, retention policies, documentation, and backup integrity
5. Provides experienced patch management of Linux and Windows based systems as required
6. Participates in on-call duties or after-hours work required to support enterprise needs.
7. Provides backup support to other team members
8. Collaborates with Academic Specialists for OS and integration expertise in support of academic
and faculty needs.
9. Maintains current and up-to-date system logs and procedure manuals.
10. Maintains current skills necessary to assume primary and secondary responsibilities.
11. Applies state-of-the-art technology to meet requirements and improve system operations.
12. Manages implementation and renewal of SSL certificates.
13. Completes performance review process with supervisor to understand job performance
expectations and how they fit into the department and university goals.
14. Pursues professional development to keep pace with demands for services and
information; including maintaining up to date information about the department and university.
15. Performs other duties as required.
Daily contact with members of own work unit, immediate supervisor, and members of other
departments to plan, coordinate, problem solve, present information, and make suggestions
related to mutual goals.
Frequent contact with student employees, other departmental staff, liaisons, faculty and staff to
plan, coordinate, problem solve, present information, and make suggestions related to mutual
Occasional contact with faculty and students to plan, coordinate, problem solve, present
information, and make suggestions related to mutual goals.
Occasional contact with software and hardware vendors and retirees to exchange factual
information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or functions.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or steps. Work involves choosing
the appropriate option or procedure to follow and applying established rules and procedures.
Errors may be detected within the department or section in which they occur, but may affect the
work of others within the unit to trace errors and make corrections.
Reports To: Director of Systems and Technology
Work is performed independently except where the interpretation of law, policy, rule, complex
procedure or request for exception is required.
Bachelors Degree preferred with 3-5 years experience in related field.
5 years experience managing Linux in enterprise networked environments including Bind
DNS, CentOS 6+, RedHat OS, shell scripting.
Extensive experience deploying and managing physical and virtual machines including VMware
3 years experience integrating directory and user authentication systems including Microsoft
Active Directory, SAML and more.
5 years experience in a multi-user Linux/UNIX operating environment including standard
utilities, system management tools and SAN/NAS storage concepts.
5 years experience preferred managing web servers and digital certificates for Linux based
3 years experience deploying or administering Apache, Tomcat, PHP,MySQL stacks.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work well both independently
and as a member of a team.
Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, administrators, staff and students.
Work is performed under usual office conditions.
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Systems-Administrator_R000798
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency