Posting DetailsJob Posting Information Vacancy TypeSHRAIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime Limited?NoTime-Limited Appointment LengthTitlePublic Communication SpecialistBand LevelAdvancedWorking TitleContent EditorSalary Range$31,200 - $83,965Anticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with experience ($55,000-62,000)Salary Grade Equivalency73Position Number00105548Work ScheduleMonday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pmDoes the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count).NoFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.0Department110501 - CALS Communication ServicesDepartmentCALS Communication ServicesJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) Communications team leads the development and execution efforts of strategic, multi-platform content that clearly and measurably advances the mission, vision, and brand of CALS and NC State University. CALS Communications applies a fully integrated suite of skills — communications strategy, marketing, design, content creation, graphics and videography — to support CALS strategic communications and marketing plans. CALS Communications also provides communications consultation and services for the departments, centers, and programs of the college.Essential Job Duties
The Content Editor will reside in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) Communications team, and will work with all CALS departments, centers, and programs to create and edit news and feature content for the college magazine and digital media properties. This position will serve as writer and editor for all print and digital content and will help identify, research, and develop timely news and feature stories that follow CALS content strategy and best practices and elevate the CALS and NC State brand.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with CALS Communications team to create and edit compelling print and digital content that appeals to current and prospective students, CALS alumni, faculty and staff, stakeholders and partners, peers, and influencers
- Edit and publish the college magazine, leading all phases of content planning and execution, design and distribution efforts for this bi-annual print publication
- Edit and manage the college magazine’s digital presence
- Work with CALS communications team to tackle other communications duties as assigned, including articles for print and digital publications, event scripts/talking points, press releases/media advisories, and correspondence
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Departmental Required Skills
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain relationships with external and internal customers
- Superior organizational skills
- Ability to work with limited supervision and be able to meet tight deadlines and handle multiple projects
- Demonstrated writing and editing experience as well as strong headline-writing, caption-writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Must be familiar and comfortable with Associated Press editorial style
- Ability to edit and publish web and print content to ensure readability
- Understanding of web and social media metrics to inform editorial and brand development
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in journalism, communications, English or related course of study
- At least three years’ experience in writing and editing for magazine/print publications, digital communications, marketing, journalism or related field.
- Knowledge and/or experience creating production schedules or project management knowledge
- Experience with communicating complex scientific principles to both scientific and non-scientific audiences.
- Knowledge of WordPress, Google Analytics, and website usability.
In addition to your application please attach a resume, cover letter, contact information for three professional references, and three writing samples (upload as other document 1).
Please make sure that the work history listed on your application is identical to the work history listed on your resume.Job Open Date09/27/2019Must Be Open Until---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)10/04/2019Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date10/21/2019Alternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Public Communication Specialist position.
- Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in a related field
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in an unrelated field and four years of related experience
- Associate's in a related and two years of related experience
- Combination of post-high school education and/or experience in a related field to equal at least 4 years (ex. 1 year towards a related degree and 3 years of related experience)
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and related experience to equal 8 years (ex. 1 year of high school and 7 years of related experience)
- None of the above
- * Please describe your writing and editing experience as relates to written communications for a professional office.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Briefly describe how you approach writing and communicating with different audiences.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please briefly describe your background and experience working magazines/print publications.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References
- Other Document (1)