Academic Advisor (Athletics)
Academic Advisor (Athletics)
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Posting #: 19-022
Campus: De Anza College
Close/Initial Review Date: 11/1/2019
Open Until Filled: No
Starting Salary: $4,443.64 (per month) plus benefits; Salary Grade: C1-46
Full Salary Range: $4,443.64 - $5,953.37 (per month)
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the classified position above.
Foothill - De Anza Community College District Mission Statement:
The mission of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District is student success. We are driven by an equity agenda and guided by core values of excellence, inclusion, and sustainability. Every member of our district contributes to a dynamic learning environment that fosters student engagement, equal opportunity, and innovation in meeting the various educational and career goals of our diverse students. We are committed to providing an accessible, quality undergraduate education dedicated to developing a broadly educated and socially responsible community that supports an equitable and just future for California.
De Anza College Mission Statement:
De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities; to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world.
De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college's Institutional Core Competencies:
- Communication and expression Information literacy Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental awareness Critical thinking
The faculty and staff of the De Anza College Athletic Department are committed to guiding students towards success in academics, athletic competition, and citizenship, by providing opportunities where students have access to resources in their growth. The Academic Adviser in the department will work directly with student-athletes, faculty/coaches and staff to promote student success and equity. This position will include, but not limited to, the following duties: verifying student-athlete eligibility, as mandated by the CCCAA Constitution & Bylaws; reviewing transcripts and academic records; entering information via online systems; tracking student progress towards the completion of educational goals; determining degree and transfer requirements; and providing referral and information on available resources as necessary. This position reports to the Dean of Physical Education & Athletics.
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, provide a wide range of support services related to retention and matriculation, to assist students with information and support needed to achieve educational goals.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Depending upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide a wide range of support services related to retention and matriculation, to assist students with information and support to achieve educational goals.
- Determine degree and transfer requirements, listing course sequences, and allowing multiple options to fulfill requirements for certificates, AA degrees, and admission criteria for transfer to other educational institutions; clarify academic policies and assist students with appropriate course selection.
- Learn, interpret, analyze and apply campus and District policies and procedures, and both State and federal regulations, to assist students; make appropriate referrals to counselors.
- Perform individual review of student records to determine eligibility for certificates and AA degrees; complete applications for certificates and AA degrees; explain the graduation processes and time lines; verify student progress towards completion of educational goals.
- Review transcripts from other institutions; explain formal evaluation process; complete and submit appropriate documentation.
- Assist with development, preparation and presentation of information, through workshops, group and individual appointments; attend and conduct a variety of meetings, conferences, and in-services; coordinate and promote campus programs and services. Attend In-Service training when subject is related to academic advising.
- Identify students in crisis who require immediate attention, make appropriate on- and off- campus referrals, initiate and maintain on-going contact with on and off-campus referral sources.
- Review academic records, explain to students how to comply with federal and State mandates for obtaining financial aid, financial aid extensions and veteran benefits; explain assessment and placement tests results to students; maintain student records and interview notes.
- Review academic records of probation students; explain probation policies and procedures and make referrals to counselors and other student services.
- Provide appropriate referral and information on available resources to faculty, staff, and students as necessary; establish and maintain effective communication with representatives from transfer institutions as appropriate.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Applicable sections of the State Education Code and other applicable laws.
- Community College transfer processes and procedures.
- Principles of effective interviewing and advising.
- Educational and support service needs for diversified student populations.
- Public speaking techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Operation of a computer and other office equipment.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Effective research techniques.
- Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Provide a wide range of support services related to retention and matriculation to assist
- students with information and support needed to achieve educational goals.
- Determine academic eligibility based on supporting documentation.
- Identify student needs and explain plans and alternatives.
- Maintain current knowledge of rules, regulations, requirements and restrictions.
- Learn, interpret, apply and explain policies, procedures, rules and regulations; comprehend when and how to make appropriate referrals.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Prepare and deliver oral presentations.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Operate a computer and other office equipment.
- Work independently.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Any combination equivalent to a bachelor's degree preferably in social science or related field AND two (2) years increasingly responsible experience working with student records and transcripts and involving frequent public contact.
- Office environment.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone as well as making presentations.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
- Seeing to read various materials.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling objects up to 30 lbs.
- A District on-line application on http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/. *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- A cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application. Items not required (including reference letters) will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our “Applicant Information” to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Position: Full-Time, Permanent, 12 months per year
Starting date: As soon as possible upon completion of the search process.
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement. The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S. All interviewing costs incurred by applicant are the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
Email: [email protected]
To apply, visit: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency