Police OfficerTracking Code200221 Job Description
The JCCC Police Officer provides law enforcement and public safety services to the college community to include enforcement of criminal statutes, parking and traffic enforcement, crime prevention, patrol activity, accident investigation, resolution of domestic and other disturbances, prosecution support, non-criminal public safety services, and enforcement of college policies, rules, and regulations. To carry out these responsibilities, officers monitor activity in buildings, patrol grounds for suspicious activity, and watch for any safety hazards. Officers answer calls for service typical of the college environment such as responding to medical emergencies, lock and unlock classroom doors, money escorts, recover property, and keep campus thoroughfares and lots unobstructed. All assignments involve responsibility for tactful and courteous treatment of the public and conscientious and efficient performance of duties. Evening and weekend work is sometimes required to communicate with subordinates, other supervisors, and the college students, staff and faculty with whom interaction is required to accomplish work and JCCC goals.
1. Calls For Service – Service calls, emergency and non-emergency
2. Campus Patrol – Campus assigned locations
3. Campus Law Enforcement - Related to campus police issues and public safety
4. Community Policing Model - Is well received by the campus community
5. Serve As a Campus Security Authority (CSA) - Reporting crimes to the designated JCCC Clery Act Officer in accordance with applicable laws, policies and procedures
This function/position has been designated as Essential. This means that when the College is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover and continue operations at the College. Evening and weekend work is sometimes required to communicate with subordinates, other supervisors, and the college students, staff and faculty with whom interaction is required to accomplish work and JCCC goals.Required Skills
- Minimum age 21
- U.S. Citizen
- Possession of a valid Driver’s license and ability to maintain an insurable driving record
- Must be a Kansas certified and commissioned police officer or has the ability to obtain within 3 months
- Maintain qualification and certification with firearm, ASP baton, and Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) spray
- Must possess the ability to perform all duties of a JCCC Police Officer
- Must possess the ability to be punctual and timely for work reporting
- Ability to work in a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural environment with students, faculty and employees
- Must possess effective leadership skills
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must have good organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to enter and retrieve data from department computers and programs (Banner, Astra, Record Management, CAD and ExaqVision camera system
- Ability to operate police department equipment effectively (e.g. radios, vehicles, safety equipment, etc.)
- Must possess strong diplomacy and judgment skills
- Must successfully pass polygraph exam, psychological exam, physical exam and criminal history background check prior to employment
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
Every employee of the college is expected to treat all members of the college community with dignity and respect demonstrating professional, courteous and respectful behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution, when needed.
In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained. For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
Johnson County Community College welcomes the application of any qualified candidate and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or other factors that cannot be lawfully considered.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email.
For a summary of all disclosures (Background check, Clery Act, ADA, EOE, etc) refer to the links on our Career page.Job Location Overland Park, Kansas, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular