Associate/Professor of Research - Public Health Sciences (Epidemiology)
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-01-07
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Division of Epidemiology in the Department of Public Health Sciences at the University of Miami is seeking an exceptional candidate for a full-time Associate/Full Professor position.
The Division of Epidemiology embraces the traditional role of Epidemiology, the "basic and translational science" of public health, in the evaluation of the distribution and determinants of health and disease. Our division aims to play major roles in the promotion of health and the prevention and management of diseases in populations at local, regional, national, and international levels.
This individual will be a faculty member in the Division of Epidemiology and report directly to the Director of the Division. The individual will develop and consolidate a University-wide program in the Epidemiology of Non Communicable Diseases (NCD), in alignment with the Miller School of Medicine research strategic priorities, taking advantage of the intellectual capital throughout the University that addresses the unique diversity of our populations and South Florida's unique location as the gateway to Latin America and the Caribbean.
Candidates should have the ability to:
1. Make scientific breakthroughs that once translated will save lives or improve quality of life
2. Obtain external funding to support cutting edge research. Build and develop a fully funded cadre of high caliber researchers who focus on important research in NCD Epidemiology
3. Represent the Division, Department, and the University at professional meetings in local communities, nationally, and across the globe.
4. Assist in the recruitment of the best and brightest doctoral students and postdoctoral fellows and mentor them throughout their years of study. Obtain external funding for their support while working on research projects under the faculty member's supervision.
5. Publish seminal research findings in refereed, high impact journals, book chapters and books.
6. Collaborate with other faculty to obtain research funding for trans-disciplinary research.
7. Motivate students in the MPH, MSPH and PhD graduate programs within the Department with innovative courses created to engage the students in strategic thinking.
8. Develop strategic partnerships with departments and centers at the University, particularly within the Medical School, but also with Departments, Centers, and Institutes throughout the University, across the nation and the world.
o MD/MPH, MD/PhD or PhD degree with specific graduate training or program of research in Epidemiology of NCO
o An extramurally funded program of research
o Evidence of high-impact in her/his field
o Effective oral and written communications including teaching experience, presentation at scientific meetings, and a significant publication record in peer-reviewed high impact journals
o Demonstrated evidence to lead innovative research projects to successful conclusions
All applicants must apply online.
Please upload you CV and Cover Letter.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:FacultyPay Grade:50