Director of Facility Operations
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Success Factors
- Skill and experience in goal setting and objectives, leading and supervising staff, and measuring performance; strong analytic and decision-making skills.
- Judgment: Ability to make sound decisions under time constraints.
- Assertiveness: Results-oriented, high personal energy level and initiative, self-starter.
- Interpersonal: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, good sense of humor, open-minded, independent worker but also team player.
- Creativity: Ability to recognize and implement new methods, adaptable to the changing needs of the office, and ability to establish innovative procedures.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proven ability to do successful long- and short-range planning.
- Listen attentively and respectfully.
- Give feedback directly and honestly.
- Talk with others to clarify differences.
- Create a healthy work environment.
- Treat others respectfully.
- Take responsibility for your own actions, behaviors, and attitudes.
- Manage conflict by identifying solutions or seeking guidance as necessary.
- Knowledge in maintenance repairs to HVAC and Building systems, including B.A.S., pumps, fans, chillers, refrigeration, plumbing, steam and condensate return, and power transmission.
- Understand energy management and equipment controls strategies to achieve maximum energy efficiency for buildings and operational systems.
- Knowledge of safe work practices, standards, and hazard analysis to include management of hot work permits, confined space entry, lock-out tag-out procedures, hazard communication, elevator safety, fire safety, indoor air quality, and applicable industry codes and standards for routine maintenance operations.
- Ability to read blueprints, drawings, and specification documents for construction.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products as related to the work and office environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Five (5) years of experience in a Senior Management Position in a maintenance, physical plant, or facilities capacity, preferably in a college or university setting. Eight (8) years of experience in Senior Management is desirable.
- Be self-directed, detail- and customer service-oriented.
- Must have strong colleague and team relationship skills, preferably in a union environment focused on positive labor/management partnership relationships.
- Must have a professional demeanor with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in coordinating projects of all sizes, repairs, and specifically working with teams on large projects.
- Candidates must possess strong experience with Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Grounds, and the Custodial trades.