Tenure-track Position in Writing Studies
San Francisco State University
Department of English Language and Literature
Tenure-track Position in Writing Studies
San Francisco State University, Department of English Language and Literature offers an exciting opportunity for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Writing Studies beginning August 2020. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of SF State’s academic community.
The department seeks a teacher-scholar with specialization in Writing Studies and demonstrated experience and/or interest in lower division writing, student success and social justice. Ideal candidates will have experience working in academic equity and retention programs.
With an annual enrollment of more than 10,000 students, the English Department’s undergraduate writing programs touch the lives of just about every student on the SF State campus. The English Department’s undergraduate writing program working in partnership with SF State’s Metro College Success program, is committed to offering undergraduate students a learning experience based in values of academic equity and inclusion. Through its MA and graduate certificate programs in Composition, the English Department offers critical support to the undergraduate writing program and offers excellent preparation for teaching in the two-year colleges (for further information about the English Department, please see our website: http://english.sfsu.edu. For additional information about SF State’s commitment to academic equity and student success, please see our Metro College Success Program website: http://metro.sfsu.edu).
The mission of San Francisco State University is to create and maintain an environment for learning that promotes respect for and appreciation of scholarship, freedom, human diversity, and the cultural mosaic of the City of San Francisco and the Bay Area; to promote excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment; and to provide broadly accessible higher education for residents of the region and state, as well as the nation and world. To fulfill its mission, the University is committed to the following goals:
- Attracting, retaining and graduating a highly diverse student body
- Providing disciplinary and interdisciplinary liberal arts and professional education that is academically rigorous and intellectually challenging
- Providing curricula that reflect all dimensions of human diversity, and that encourage critical thinking and a commitment to social justice
- Recruiting, retaining and supporting a diverse faculty whose teaching demonstrates an active engagement with their individual fields of study and whose creative and scholarly work is an extension of the classroom, laboratory or studio
- Employing a staff and administration reflecting the diversity of our student community and the values of the campus;
- Fostering a collegial and cooperative intellectual environment that includes recognition and appreciation of differing viewpoints and promotes academic freedom within the University community; and
- Serving the communities with which its students and faculty are
Responsibilities: The position includes a primary undergraduate teaching responsibility in the Department’s undergraduate writing program and its partnership with Metro Academies College Success program. Responsibilities also include mentoring and advising undergraduate and graduate students; teaching relevant courses in the MA program; creating and sustaining professional development activities to support faculty teaching lower division courses for historically underserved communities served by Metro;
developing an active ongoing scholarship program in one’s area of specialization; and ongoing committee and service assignments. Detailed position description is available at http://english.sfsu.edu
- D. in Rhet/Comp, or related field completed by the first day of employment
- Record of working and communicating effectively with colleagues and students
- Record of excellence in teaching undergraduate writing
- Active record of scholarship in Writing Studies in areas such as equity approaches to teaching and learning; writing program administration; equity and assessment; transfer of learning; multimodal writing; community literacy, , and evidence of external support or the potential for external funding of these activities, if applicable.
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate inclusion, diversity, and educational equity in teaching, and/or scholarship/creative
- Experience teaching and working closely with students from historically underserved communities.
- Record of contributing to collegial, supportive and collaborative work
Rank and salary: Assistant Professor. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The California State University (CSU) provides generous health, retirement and other benefits.
Application deadline is Friday November 1, 2019. Submit letter of intent/interest; a current CV; a statement on how your teaching and scholarship align with the commitment of the Department of English Language and Literature to foster writing instruction rooted in values of academic equity and inclusion; two samples of scholarly work; student
teaching evaluations from relevant courses; and three letters of recommendation. Materials to be submitted to Dr. Gitanjali Shahani, SFSU Chair, Department of English Language and Literature (Attn: Writing Studies Search Committee) at [email protected] Pdf. files are preferred.
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Apply for Tenure-track Position in Writing Studies
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly