The University of Richmond Police Department is currently developing a list to hire Police Officers during the next 12 months should vacancies occur.
A sworn law enforcement position to provide law enforcement and crime prevention duties to include CLERY requirements for the University of Richmond within the University of Richmond Police Department.
All applicants are required to take the entry level Police Exam and Physical Agility Text being administered on TBD. You will be notified of time and location of the testing.
Patrol/Crime Prevention/Community Policing
- Protects community and property of the University.
- Patrols campus.
- Responds to calls of service.
- Provides safety and security services to the University Community.
- Promotes a positive community relation in the performance of job duties.
- Enforces University rules and regulations.
- Provides non-police related services as needed.
- Willing to work overtime assignments when needed.
- Enforces VA Criminal and Traffic Laws.
- Makes arrests.
- Testifies in court.
- Enforces parking violations.
- Provides mutual aid and assistance to other law enforcement agencies as requested.
- Conducts criminal investigations, if assigned.
- Collects and maintain evidence.
- Writes reports in a clear manner.
- Initiates administrative reporting process for student violations of University rules and regulations.
- Attends department training to maintain required police standards.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
Police officers possess a level of fitness and general health to perform physical tasks encountered on the job. These activities may include, but are not limited to: climbing obstacles, running after suspects, running up stairs, jumping over obstacles, lifting heavy objects or persons, subduing persons resisting arrest, and physically pushing movable objects. Officers are physically able to perform the duties and functions of a sworn police officer, carry and use protective equipment, and perform in all weather conditions.
Responds, if requested or needed, on weekends and/or nights as a function of this position.
- Able to operate a motor vehicle.
- Required: Must have a valid Driver's License and be able to produce a driving record with a minimum of 3 years of driving history in good standing
- Maintains all training standards and firearm requirements established by DCJS and URPD.
- Able to present to a wide variety of audiences regarding safety issues, and crime prevention topics. Demonstrates computer efficiency in Microsoft office and possesses effective communication skills.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma
- No experience required
- Virginia Certified Law Enforcement Officer Preferred
- Experience could change depending on current need of the department
- Full-time, non-exempt position
- 12 hour shift, during a 24 hour day, 40 hours weekly, 7 day period
Pay Grade 4
Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. Richmond offers a unique combination of undergraduate and graduate programs. Our School of Arts & Sciences anchors Richmond as a nationally ranked liberal arts university. A ranked business school, the nation’s first school of leadership studies, a highly respected law school, a nationally recognized international education program and the community-focused School of Professional and Continuing Studies build on that strong foundation and make this university something unique.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE