Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleWeb developerDepartmentPublic AffairsFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS20160Open Date09/23/2019Close Date10/21/2019Salary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday – 40 hoursBenefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeNoPosition Summary
The web developer creates and maintains rice.edu website and subdomains, acting as an internal advocate for branded website design and implementation among internal stakeholders. S/he stays up-to-date on current user experience (UX) best practices, and works across teams to implement design and layout in an integrated manner within the Rice brand standards and hosting services. This position uses analytics tools to lead in data-driven decisions to design, build and maintain high quality, high performance sites for rice.edu, ensuring quality and consistent look and feel across departments and multiple devices and browsers while maximally leveraging available technology infrastructure. The web developer supports web infrastructure by providing end-user support, applications maintenance, product evaluation and internal management tools.Education RequiredBachelor's DegreeMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education Requirement
May substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.Education PreferredExperience Required2 yearsType of Experience
Web development experience working on a team (experience gained as a student or during an internship is acceptable).Substitution for Experience Requirement
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
Three years of web development experience.License/Certification RequiredLicense/Certification PreferredSkills Required
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Organized and creative
- Demonstrated ability to develop for web content management systems
- Demonstrated ability to develop complex websites and web applications using open source tools, languages, libraries and current standards-compliant code
- Knowledge of web content development and cloud services
- Solid understanding of web standards and usability methods
- Expert knowledge of content management systems, such as Drupal, including the ability to perform standard installation and configuration of DEV environments
- Demonstrated ability to write, compile, test, debug and deploy software
- Strong working knowledge and demonstrated success using web analytics tools
- Ability to interact positively with and build consensus among a diverse group of colleagues, clients and senior leadership
- Ability to take direction and work to meet expected deadlines and schedules
- Demonstrated team player
Internal contacts: Frequent contact with all levels of Rice University administration, faculty, students, and staff. Will have access to sensitive and confidential information.Physical Demands
Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of up to eight hours per day.Working Conditions
- Office environment
- May require working extended hours (evenings and weekends) to meet deadlines
Please include examples of your work under the writing sample attachment. This can be included as links.Quick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/21380 Job Duties Job Duty NameEssential functionsDescription of Job Duty
- Creates and maintains websites, acting as an internal advocate for branded website efforts among internal stakeholders and driving digital best practices
- Implements and maintains content management systems
- Evaluates third-party modules for functionality, accessibility, security and maintainability
- Performs selected website administration duties for existing clients
- Creates and / or modifies clean, well-structured, search engine optimization-friendly documented code.
- Provides technical expertise in front-end web development
- Supports web infrastructure by providing end-user support, applications maintenance, product evaluation, back-end development, and internal management tools
- Interprets website design and layout visually in a creative, contemporary style and fully integrated manner within the Rice brand standards
- Ensures high quality and consistent look and feel across multiple devices and browsers
- Optimizes the display of original online content, and collaborates with content managers to produce web assets, email and landing pages
- Works with site architects to develop and document functional specifications based on requirements gathered from stakeholders, analytics and UX best practices
- Supports the implementation of website lifecycle
- Helps develop and deploy upgrade / migration plans for existing content management system as needed
- Responsible for all back-end analytics that will provide data to site owners and lead to data-driven decision on UX design
- Acts as part of the team that manages SEO and SEM when applicable
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree or additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement?
- * Do you have two or more years of web development experience working on a team (experience gained as a student or during an internship is acceptable)?
- * Do you have experience developing highly accessible PHP templates/themes for content management systems, such as Drupal 7/8? If yes, how many years?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you experience with google analytics? If yes, how many years?
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your minimum salary requirement?
(Open Ended Question)