Assistant Professor - Computer Science (multiple positions)
Assistant Professor - Computer Science (multiple positions)Job no: 502972
Position type: Faculty Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Computer Science
Applications Open: Sep 24 2019
General Summary of Position:
The Computer Science Department at the University of Massachusetts Lowell invites applications for two tenure-track, Assistant Professor faculty positions to start in September 2020.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell:
Located about 25 miles northwest of Boston in the high-tech corridor of Massachusetts, the University of Massachusetts Lowell is a tier-1 research university with a national reputation in science, engineering, and technology. UMass Lowell is committed to educating students for lifelong success in a diverse world, and to conducting research and outreach activities that sustain the economic, environmental, and social health of the region. In February of 2009, a campus-wide strategic planning initiative was launched to reposition UMass Lowell as a world-class institution over the next decade. A major component of that initiative is to ensure that diversity and inclusion is in every aspect of our strategic plan. We seek a diverse talented candidate pool to be part of our mission and achievements.
The Computer Science Department:
The Department of Computer Science currently has 21 tenured and tenure-track faculty members, 7 full-time teaching faculty members, and a few adjunct instructors serving almost 1,000 BS students, 50 MS students, and 50 PhD students. It also offers an MS and a BS in Information Technology online with over 100 students and over 1,200 students, respectively (BS-IT and MS-IT courses are taught by a separate faculty body). It offers bioinformatics options at all levels, a robotics minor, a data science option, and a PhD in computational mathematics. The Department is looking to fill a number of tenure-track/tenured positions in the next few years. The Computer Science faculty has received approximately $10M in the last two years in external research funding from the NSF, DARPA, DOD, DHE, NIH, and corporations. Research awards have more than quadrupled and research expenditures have more than doubled over the last five years. The Department has 6 NSF CAREER Award recipients. More information about the Department can be found at www.cs.uml.edu.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. in computer science or a closely related discipline and must be committed to developing and sustaining externally-funded research programs.
- Applicants must demonstrate strong potential to establish and maintain substantial research, teaching, and service, including the ability to publish refereed publications, obtain competitive external grants, and supervise postgraduate students.
- Applicants should have demonstrated capability of academic management and leadership.
- Successful applicants will develop a strong network of collaborations with established national and/or international researchers, leading to significant impact in computer science and related fields.
- Preference will be given to outstanding candidates in any of the areas of Computer Vision, Cybersecurity, Data Sciences, Machine Learning, and/or Robotics. Outstanding candidates in other major computer science areas will also be considered, and are thus encouraged to apply. In addition to developing a strong research program, a successful candidate will be expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses, including department core and specialty areas based on the candidate’s expertise.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications received by December 1, 2019 will receive full consideration. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received. Women and under-represented minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please include the following required documents with your application:
- Cover letter
- Teaching Statement/Philosophy
- Publication List
- Research Statement
- Sample of Scholarly Work/Publication
- Names and contact information for three references will be required at the time of application. References will be contacted for a letter of reference immediately after application submission. References will be required to upload recommendation letters to our on-line portal; neither emailed nor hard-copy letters will be accepted. *Three letters of reference are required.
Other optional documents:
- Please attach to your application, summaries of teaching evaluations, if available.
Thank you for considering the University of Massachusetts Lowell as an employer of choice. We look forward to receiving your application.