Advisor/Outreach Recruiter #999675
Posting DetailsPosition Summary Information Job Summary / Basic Function
SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Advisor/Outreach Recruiter provides individual and small group educational advisement and recruitment services to new, current, and prospective students concerning degree, admission, registration, financial aid, and other outreach and support services. The Advisor/Outreach Recruiter provides all constituents a student-centered, customer service-friendly experience that supports the institutional mission and goals. The Advisor/Outreach Recruiter works closely with a variety of offices (on and off campus) and maintains good working relationships with all. Will work from office location and will be required to coordinate and/or facilitate on and off campus recruitment opportunities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Advising responsibilities 50%:
•Stay abreast of current trends, and promising practices as related to student services.
•Stay current on State, Federal, System, and Institutional policies and procedures.
•Guide prospective new and current students in the awareness and planning of their educational career including the selection of the courses and programs of study.
•Assist with registration, orientation, workshops, seminars and other outreach opportunities.
•Provide assistance to students, parents and community agencies with accurate and up-to-date information, which will assist in making sound educational decisions.
•Participate and/or facilitate on and off campus registration activities.
•Participate in new student orientations and Student Success programs as directed.
•Assist students in the acquisition, usage and evaluation of information including college guidelines, catalogs, and computer based guidance systems.
•Assist in arranging on-site college visits for parents and students.
•Works with and may develop computer assisted advising programs.
•Assist with faculty advisor training, on-campus and off-campus registration activities.
•Address heavy telephone and walk-in traffic.
•Assist with recruitment and retention activities of the college and as a team member within student services.
•Provide referrals to students needing services such as: tutoring, testing, career counseling, financial aid, disability services, etc.
•Establish and maintain interdepartmental relationships with all student services and instructional programs.
•Provide support and assistance to students via phone, web camera, online chat, and face-to-face.
•Safeguard sensitive and confidential information.
•Recruiter Responsibilities 50%:
•Establish an office at an area high school, with travel between middle schools, high schools, colleges, and other venues to speak to groups and individual students.
•Meet with school counselors and administrators to promote outreach activities within assigned territory.
•Ability to travel extensively in privately owned vehicle (with mileage reimbursement).
•Manage and coordinate community workshops, retreats, and recruitment efforts.
•Arrange visits and tours for prospective students and parents.
•Serve as a point for oversight of territorial recruitment goals.
•Promote and represent the college at public events, promotional opportunities, marketing campaigns, business and committee meetings, publicity functions, and high school events, (i.e., awards ceremonies and other related occasions).
•Coordinate and implement various recruitment programs and marketing strategies for territorial or local on-site admission programs and special events.
•Create package, monitor and distribute resource materials for student recruitment and retention programs.
•Serve independently as territorial manager to develop and maintain partnership between local school systems throughout the assigned territory.
•Prepare reports and proposals and respond to inquiries from all college stakeholders.
Secondary Job Function:
•Participate in graduation ceremony.
•Cross train and learn all aspects of Student Success.
•Participate in the development of operating goals and objectives for the division; recommended, implement, and administer methods and procedures to enhance operations, as appropriate to the division.
Other Duties Assigned:
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to needs of the institution.
Minimum Education Required:
Associate’s degree required.
Minimum Experience Required:
•Pleasant, professional, and well-focused on customer service.
•Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
•Some knowledge of Lamar Institute of Technology and its academic/technical program.
•Some experience in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
•Working knowledge of English grammar, spelling, punctuation and business correspondence.
•Must have direct experience in student services and/or academic affairs.
•Must have experience in academic advising and recruitment.
•Must have experience with a Student Information System-preferably BANNER.
•Must have the ability to read and interpret high school and college transcripts.
•Must be detailed oriented, work with minimum supervision, and be able to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
•Must demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills utilizing good business vocabulary and concise presentation.
•Must have the ability to learn and articulate the goals of all facets of the college.
•Must possess the ability to deal with people and represent LIT in a professional manner.
•Must be able to set-up and operate a laptop computer and portable printer.
The physical requirements are those consistent with working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of the essential functions of this job, work is normally performed in a typical interior/office/classroom work environment with moderate noise. Some evenings and weekends may be required during registration periods. Regular travel is required.
Lamar Institute of Technology Expectation of Quality:
Employee will support the mission of Lamar Institute of Technology by providing high quality, professional service, timely response and solutions to customer request.
Lamar Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Preferred Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Minimum Experience Preferred:
•Two (2) years of experience in academic advising/recruiting.
•Experience with Banner record information.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Salary$35,000Work Hours Application Details Open Date09/10/2019Open Until FilledYesClose DatePosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly. As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * What is your highest level of education?
- High School
- Some College
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- * In what subject did you receive your degree(s)?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please rate your knowledge and experience of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook).
- No Experience
- Beginner - Knowledge of MS Office Programs (Word & Excel)
- Intermediate - Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint)
- Moderate - Knowledge & Experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access)
- Expert - Knowledge & Experience using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, & Outlook)
- * How many years of academic advising/recruiting experience do you have?
- 6 months to 1 year
- 2 years
- 3-4 years
- 5+ years
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2