Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeEHRA Non-FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleExtension AssociateSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with ExperiencePosition Number00001860Work ScheduleMonday - Friday / 40 hours/weekFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department118001 - Ag & Resource EconomicsDepartmentAg & Resource EconomicsJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics (ARE) embodies excellence in research, teaching, and extension in the area of agriculture and the economics of natural resources and the environment. Dedicated, student-focused faculty teach diverse courses and nurture industry connections to help students pursue rewarding careers. Researchers engage students in relevant, applied research. Extension specialists conduct research-based activities that benefit local and global communities.
ARE offers undergraduate major and minor programs in agricultural business management and a concentration in biological sciences business management within the agricultural business management program. At the graduate level, the department offers a Master of Science degree and a Masters of Economics degree, and a Ph.D. degree in economics. These instructional programs are enriched by faculty members with extension and research activities which contribute to the relevance and thoroughness of the teaching program.Essential Job Duties
The Extension Associate position leads the department’s farm management outreach and education efforts mission. This individual provides leadership in extension education in farm management, with a focus on taxation and other farm management topics. This individual collaborates and coordinates with the Office of Professional Development (OPD) in the College of Continuing Education to deliver income tax schools which educate tax professionals and others about the tax rules and regulations applicable to farmers and agriculture-related businesses. Major Responsibilities of the position include:
Farm Income, Management, and Tax Specialist (80%)
- The individual in this position will be a specialist focused on farm income, management, and tax issues. The individual will develop publications and educational program materials on income, property, and estate taxation directly affecting North Carolina farm families, rural landowners, and agribusinesses. The incumbent will also collaborate with the NC State University Office of Professional Development to coordinate and conduct the NC State Tax Schools. This will include the provision of programmatic and subject matter expertise for NC State’s Tax School tax education programs. This individual will engage with various constituent groups and state and area extension personnel to develop educational programs to meet clientele needs. Information will be disseminated through county extension faculty and via presentations, websites, publications, conferences, and producer meetings. This individual will represent NC State University on the National Farm Income Tax Extension Committee.
Instructor in the ARE Department (20%)
- This individual will teach courses (at the rank of Lecturer or Senior Lecturer) in the NC State undergraduate Agribusiness Management program. Teaching responsibilities will be assigned in accordance with the individual’s interests and the Department’s needs.
The individual will also participate in the undergraduate advising program.Minimum Education/Experience
- Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Finance, Accounting, or other closely related discipline.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in extension education/outreach.
- Credentials as a current CPA certificate or Enrolled Agent.
- Valid NC driver’s license or the ability to obtain one with 60 days of start.
In addition to your application please submit a cover letter, CV, and the contact information for at least three professional references.Job Open Date09/25/2019Anticipated Closing DateIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date01/01/2020AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have, or will you have by date of hire, a Master's degree in Agricultural Economics, Finance, Accounting, or other closely related discipline?
- * Please briefly describe your experience, if any, in extension education/outreach.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you currently hold credentials as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Enrolled Agent?
- Yes to both CPA and Enrolled Agent
- No to both CPA and Enrolled Agent
- Yes to CPA only
- Yes to Enrolled Agent only
- * Do you have a valid NC Driver's license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of your start date?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact Information for References