Associate Director, Federal Government Relations
Associate Director, Federal Government Relations
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
Associate Director, Federal Government Relations - Georgetown University's Office of Government Relations and Community Engagement
The Associate Director of Federal Government Relations (Director) works with the Associate Vice President for Federal Relations to advance the interests of Georgetown University at the federal level. Specifically, the Associate Director's duties include, but are not limited to:
- Monitors, internally and externally communicates, and advocates University positions on federal proposals, regulations, or legislation that impact the University in areas such as the Higher Education Act, research funding, tax policy, Title VI, Title IX, and immigration
- Conducts general policy analysis and research regarding public policy issues affecting higher education generally and the University specifically
- With the AVP, engages with relevant Congressional and Administration staff in support of the larger University engagement strategy
- Manages and organizes events on the Hill and on campus with federal government officials
- With the AVP, engages with national higher education advocacy and other organizations such as ACE, NAICU, AJCU, NACUBO, NASFA, and COFHE, et al
- Encourages and supports student involvement in federal issues
- Ensures compliance with federal lobbying rules and, with other key University staff, ensures compliance with all federal ethics rules
- Manages correspondence with the Congress and others
- Maintains a well-organized record keeping system
- Maintains and ensures the accuracy of, and utilizes database used extensively for contact with Members of Congress, Congressional staff, Administration officials and key University officials
- Handles timely and accurate processing of office financial matters, including subscriptions, vouchers and reimbursements and reconciling accounts
- Manages the team's social media presence
The Associate Director of Federal Relations will serve as a partner to the Associate Vice President for Federal Relations as the primary team for the University on issues involving the federal government. The team is responsible for developing, strategizing and implementing all plans aimed at promoting positive federal relations. The team serves as the liaison between the University and administrative and legislative branches of the federal government and is responsible for ensuring that the university pursues federal support initiatives effectively and appropriately. This position reports directly to the Associate Vice President for Federal Government Relations.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of Congressional or Legislative Affairs experience, preferably with some focus on higher education issues
- A thorough understanding of legislative processes
- Experience working with higher education or non-profit institutions a plus
- Ability to think strategically and work as a member of an entrepreneurial team
- Self-motivated and highly organized, with careful attention to detail and a willingness to take initiative
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing, presentation and speaking abilities
- Ability to build and maintain internal and external relationships in the context of a complex organization
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively, which includes planning, organizing, and prioritizing with attention to details
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word and basic Excel; and beginner-intermediate level skill in web content, social media, and cloud-based applications
- Flexibility to work evening and weekend events as needed
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Associate-Director--Federal-Government-Relations---Georgetown-University-s-Office-of-Government-Relations-and-Community-Engagement_JR07683
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency