Part-Time Advisor, Retention & Completion
This individual supports the College's mission and strategic objectives while simultaneously reinforcing Rowan College South Jersey-Cumberland Campus's strategic direction under the supervision of the Director of the Center for Academic and Student Success (CASS). The Advisor, Retention and Completion is accountable and responsible for assisting the CASS Director in executing and facilitating program goals by advising/coaching a full caseload of the most academically at-risk students pursuing degrees in Perkins approved majors and delivering all required and optional services which are designed to increase student success, graduation and career readiness. Potential cohort students will be identified by utilizing the college student data system.
There are two vacancies for this position, one of which is grant-funded.
Examples of Duties:
- Develops initial cohort of identified academically at-risk Academic Certificate and degree seeking students in Perkins-approved programs.
- Provides career and academic advisement, registration assistance, and case-management-style student services. Emphasis is placed on facilitating the success of academically at-risk students pursuing degrees in Perkins-approved programs.
- Utilizes Starfish and other required technology to maintain an intake-to-graduation tracking system and provide case management via early alert interventions.
- Encourages student participation in workshops and other student life activities.
- Assists CASS Director to develop, measure effectiveness, and modify, intervention strategies.
- Refers to internal and external supportive services as needed, such as the Tutoring Center, Math and Writing Centers, and the CCC Wellness and Counseling Center, community-based organizations and government agencies.
- Organizes initial group career development sessions for Perkins specific majors and work collaboratively with the Director of Career Services.
- Introduces students to the Career Success Plan process, the college's career planning software, and assists them in starting to develop their career plans in collaboration with the Director of Career Services and the Freshman Seminar Faculty Coordinator.
- Follows up with cohort students individually to review career steps, completes plans, and ensures they remain a part of each student's electronic student record.
- Utilizes various career and assessment websites while working in conjunction with the Director of Career Services for students who have not identified a definite career pathway.
- Provides each cohort student intrusive academic advisement via multiple touch points, early interventions, and career support throughout the academic year to review progress toward goals, facilitate internships and service learning projects in tandem with Director of Career Services and the Office of Student Life, and adjusts student career plans as needed.
- Recruits for the program by assisting with walk in registration in the Advisement office.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in counseling, student personnel services, student development, or a related area required. Master's degree preferred.
- National or Licensed Counseling Certificate such as LPC, NBCC, LCSW, Career Endorsement Credential or similar credentials preferred.
- Documented proficiency in oral and written communications and interpersonal relations.
- Minimum two to four years of community college academic and career counseling/advisement experience.
- Previous experience and knowledge working with diverse student populations, especially academically at-risk, low-income, first generation, high-need students.
- Previous experience with the use of student data systems, cohort tracking, student case management, and coaching.
- Commitment to the community college mission including addressing the needs of a diverse student population