IHLT Academic Advisor and AHS Honors Program Coordinator - College of Applied Health Sciences ...
Interdisciplinary Health Sciences (IHLT) Academic Advisor and Applied Health Sciences (AHS) Honors Coordinator
College of Applied Health Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Applied Health Sciences is accepting applications for an IHLT Academic Advisor and AHS Honors Program Coordinator (Coordinator). The Coordinator provides academic advising for undergraduate students interested an enrolled in our growing Interdisciplinary Health Sciences major and coordinates programming and functions for the College’s honors programs.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide one-on-one advising and career counseling to approximately 100-150 degree majors and monitor progress toward degrees.
- Manage daily aspects of the AHS James Scholar Program (approximately 225 students) such as programming and supervising the James Scholar Student Advisory Board.
- Teach James Scholar Freshman Seminar (second eight weeks, fall semester) and James Scholar Mentoring Seminar (spring semester).
- Co-teach the Interdisciplinary Health Sciences orientation courses for new students (first eight weeks of semester).
- Welcome and advise new students during summer registration program, including transfer students and assisting with course selection.
- Coordinate, support and evaluate students throughout the intercollegiate transfer process (in-campus transfer process).
- Oversee the implementation of college wide programs for high-achieving students (such as the SPARK Undergraduate Research Program).
- Assist with the promotion of the Interdisciplinary Health Sciences major and provide support for student communication including print and web-based materials.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Dean (Honors Dean) regarding honors program best practices, policy, and budget.
- Assist the AHS Undergraduate Recruiter with recruitment initiatives and programming for prospective honors students.
- Assist with college-wide student events as needed.
- Serve on campus-wide, college, and departmental committees.
- Perform other related duties that further the mission of the college.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Master’s degree in education, counseling, a health-related field, or higher education administration.
At least one year of experience with academic advising, career counseling, or student support services.
Ability to work effectively across academic disciplines and as part of an advising team.
Creativity and commitment to program initiatives.
Experience working with students in a health-related field or academic setting.
An understanding of the needs and concerns of college students and a passion for working with them.
Demonstrated strengths include; experience in public speaking, strong writing ability and organizational skills.
Significant intercultural skills and experience working with diverse populations.
Competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Appointment Status and Start Date
This is a full-time (100%), 12 month Academic Professional appointment. The proposed start is as soon as possible after the closing date.
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by October 14, 2019. Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume and the names, address, phone numbers and email addresses of three professional references. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For more information about this position, applicants may contact:
Jennifer Russell, Assistant Director of Human Resources
College Name or Administrative Unit:College of Applied Health Sciences Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:IHLT Academic Advisor and AHS Honors Program Coordinator - College of Applied Health Sciences (122205) Open Date:09/20/2019 Close Date:10/14/2019 Organization Name:Academic Affairs