Associate VP, Adv. Comm., Donor Relations, Volunteer Management
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Job Title Associate VP, Adv. Comm., Donor Relations, Volunteer Management
Job ID 3678
Location Loop Campus
Full/Part Time Full-Time
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
Reporting to the Vice President of Advancement, the Associate Vice President (AVP) of Advancement Communications, Donor Relations, and Volunteer Management is responsible for developing and leading strategies for donor relations, volunteer management and advancement communications. The AVP will be expected to coordinate efforts across the Advancement division, and with various campus partners, including the University offices of Public Relations and Communications, and Enrollment Management and Marketing, in the development and delivery of Advancement messaging, communication assets and channels, initiation and implementation of strategies to steward the gifts of all donors to the University, with a special emphasis on donors of $1M+, and to build a higher education "best practices" model of volunteer management for college and school advisory boards.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Oversee Advancement Communications strategy, complete an assessment and audit of Advancement Communications needs and capacity, deploying current staff accordingly, enhance the capacity of Advancement Communications, including print (cases for support, gift proposals, donor and constituent communication, university magazine and college/school newsletters, event collateral) and digital (website, social media, video) channels; and create a client-service/donor-prospect orientation to meet Advancement goals. Special attention will be given to developing a digital communications plan that will be the centerpiece of the comprehensive campaign strategy.
- Oversee the Advancement stewardship and donor relations functions, build towards a more imaginative, innovative, service oriented unit that can deliver a robust donor centric culture, as well as highly-personalized stewardship for major and principal gifts with a specific focus on creating stewardship strategies for all major gifts made in support of campaign priorities.
- Develop and lead a new function for volunteer management including the creation of procedures and best practices for the management of college and school advisory boards; manage a pipeline of potential volunteers and develop a continuum of volunteer opportunities that lead to meaningful engagement; and develop processes to integrate this work with other units across campus to leverage resources and support collaboration.
- Manage principal level strategy, cultivation and stewardship of a small portfolio (10-20) of major gift prospects. Key member of the VP/Presidential team working with the DePaul Top 200 portfolio.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Significant history of working with volunteers, major and principal gift-level donors, and managing communications focused on fundraising and alumni, parent, and community engagement.
- Minimum of 10 years experience working with major and principal gift donors, volunteers, and in developing Advancement communication strategies.
- Fundraising experience or comparable experience involving individual relationship building.
- Will directly manage head of advancement communications, head of donor relations, and head of volunteer programs.
- Will manage budgets for Advancement Communications and Donor Relations and eventually expenses aligned with school/college dvisory council volunteer management.
Other Skills & Abilities Reqd
- Expertise with digital media, written communications, and donor relations within a non-profit
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate staff and manage staff through change.
- Track record in leadership positions of increasing responsibility.
- Demonstrated experience working with senior executive and macro management of complex organizations.
- Ability to work independently and to manage in a complex environment.
- Goals-oriented temperament.
- Superior communications and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to promote and successfully solicit high-level major gifts by identifying major gift prospects, managing caseload, designing and implementing stewardship strategies and ensuring follow-up activities.
- Demonstrated communications and interpersonal skills and success in working in a team setting.
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the “My Activities” tab of your profile.
Must be able to travel to attend professional conferences and to meet with donors/volunteers.
Salary & Benefits Package:
DePaul offers a comprehensive package including competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain the best talent in order to further the University's mission. For more information, please visit the following pages:
Required Background Check: