Instructional Aide A, Counseling, Full-Time
Posting DetailsPosition Information Position TitleInstructional Aide A, Counseling, Full-TimeRequisition NumberFAC00320General Description
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions. To help address broad economic, cultural and political concerns in the city and beyond, the College draws together students from a wide range of ages and backgrounds and seeks to provide the programs and support they need to achieve their goals.
Under the direction of the Department Head, the Instructional Aide A serves as the intake specialist for current and potential students seeking services within the College’s Counseling department. Primary responsibilities for this position include screening visitors, scheduling and prioritizing appointments based on the Guided Pathways model or student needs, and maintain the intake of students to ensure the timely and efficient delivery of counseling services. This position requires the use of independent judgment, excellent customer service skills and a comprehensive knowledge of departmental and College-wide policies and procedures.Specific Responsibilities
• Demonstrate excellent customer service in greeting and screening current and potential students seeking services within the College’s Counseling department.
• Utilizing independent judgment to screen students to determine the services needed and provide the necessary information based on departmental processes and procedures or directing to the appropriate department.
• Conduct basic level assessment to triage and direct students to the appropriate Counselor based on specialized needs, available appointments, staffing levels, academic discipline (i.e. Guided Pathway), etc.
• Maintain intake of students to ensure the timely and efficient delivery of counseling services.
• Apply functional knowledge in responding to matters requiring a comprehensive knowledge of departmental and College-wide policies and procedures.
• Participate in departmental meetings, as needed.
• Respond to incoming phone calls and emails and provide accurate responses to inquiries related to services within the Counseling department or forwarding to the appropriate person or department.
• Provide direction to students using the department’s kiosk system.
• Communicate any issues or problems that may affect the delivery of counseling services or efficiency of intake operations to the Department Head or Counseling staff.
• Maintain organized files and accurate records; adhering to FERPA regulations as they pertain to maintaining the security and confidentiality of all student records, as well as maintaining the confidentiality of other documents on behalf of the work area and the College.
• Perform data collection and prepare reports, as needed, for departmental reporting and assessment.
• Maintain sensitivity, understanding and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds.
• Perform additional duties as needed.Minimum Qualifications
• Associate’s Degree in relevant field.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in a counseling environment or related field working with a diverse population in a customer service oriented work environment.
• Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
• Strong verbal, written communication, and interpersonal skills.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask.
• Strong customer service mindset, problem solving skills, and the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced work environment.
• Ability to work evenings or weekends based on operational needs.
• Ability to maintain sensitivity, understanding and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds.Preferred Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• Previous experience working in counseling or a student services area within higher education or non-profit organization.
• Previous experience using Ellucian Banner, Starfish, Canvas, or similar software/applications.Work LocationMain CampusBenefitsSpecial Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Names and contact information of 3 professional referenced REQUIRED.
• Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
Community College of Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally under-represented groups. AA/EOE.Salary Grade or RankRank ASalary RangeJob Posting Open DateJob Posting Close DatePosition TypeFaculty, CounselorJob CategoryEmployment Status Full-TimeSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have an Associate’s Degree in relevant field?
- * Do you have a minimum of seven (7) years of experience in a counseling environment or related field working with a diverse population in a customer service oriented work environment?
- * Do you have demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel?
- * Are you available to work evenings or weekends based on operational needs?
- * Do you have previous experience working in counseling or a student services area within higher education or non-profit organization?
- * Do you have previous experience using Ellucian Banner, Starfish, Canvas, or similar software/applications?
- * How did you first learn about this employment opportunity?
- Community College of Philadelphia Website
- The Chronicle
- Job Fair
- HERC - Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
- CCP - Faculty Recruiting Event
- * If your answer to the above question is Other, please note the source below. If this question does not apply to you, enter N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Philosophy
- Writing Sample
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Letters of Recommendation
- Other Document ( See Special Instructions to Applicant)