EWU Para Sports Wheelchair Basketball Head Coach
Posting DetailsPosting Details Position TitleEWU Para Sports Wheelchair Basketball Head CoachPosting Number2019036EP Position Information Classification TitlePara Sprts Wheel Chr-BB CoachWorking TitleEWU Para Sports Wheelchair Basketball Head CoachClassification Code1995RCW Exemption Criteria13 - Counseling of StudentsEWU Position NumberE99330CUPA CodeP-498320 - Head Coach-Men's BasketballFLSAExempt - AdministrativeBargaining Unit None% Full Time100%Salary / Wage RangeAE - 104Salary Information
$40,497Anticipated Start Date10/01/2019Term of Appointment12 monthsLocationCheneyCountyCheneyProject DescriptionProject DurationBackground CheckYes - BothResponsible HR UserSaundra GodinResponsible HR User Email [email protected] Posting Text Job Summary
We are currently seeking skilled and team-oriented applicants for the following position: Para Sports Wheelchair Basketball Head Coach
- This position is a one year appointment with the opportunity to be extended.
The Para Sports Wheelchair Basketball Head Coach serves as the head coach and technical lead of the Eastern Washington University (EWU) Wheelchair Basketball Collegiate team(s), and is responsible for the development, execution, and success of the wheelchair basketball program. The head basketball coach will report to the College of Health Science and Public Health (CHSPH) Dean/Associate Dean. This position will serve in an advisory role to the CHSPH Dean/Associate Dean in evaluating all aspects of the sports program and to provide insight regarding possible improvements.
The Para Sports Head Wheelchair Basketball Coach is ultimately responsible for day-to-day management decisions related to the wheelchair basketball program and for implementing the program’s long-term and short-term objectives, consistent with the overall EWU Para Sports Program’s Strategic Plan. It is the responsibility of the Head Coach to study and know all policies and procedures integral to the university. Will direct, develop and manage all aspects of the assigned sport program including but not limited to; recruiting, talent evaluation, conducting training and development of student athletes within the team concept, scheduling and budget management. The Para Sports Head Wheelchair Basketball Coach collaborates with the CHSPH Dean/Associate Dean to ensure the program adheres to the overall vision, mission and goals of the Para Sports Program.
The candidate selected for this position will be rewarded with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package which includes highly subsidized health/dental plans, retirement plan with 100% university match, generous paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays (adjusted accordingly), tuition waiver benefit and more!
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern’s Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Conditions of Employment
- Working Conditions: Exposure to standard office, gym, and strength and conditioning facility conditions.
- Security Sensitive – criminal background check required. Required to travel and have the ability to work flexible hours
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value, as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. Employment will be contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to start date.Physical Demands
Optional: Contact Saundra Godin in Human Resource Services at [email protected] to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis which will describe conditions of employment, such as physical demands.Pre-Placement Physical NoHearing Test NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire NoProtective Equipment
Hearing protection optionalRequired Qualifications
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited College or University
- Experience Coaching in Wheelchair Basketball
- National level coaching experience in Wheelchair Basketball
- Working knowledge of National Wheelchair Basketball Association
- History of successfully working with population of students with disabilities
- NWBA Coaching Certification
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
- Master’s degree in Coaching or related field
- Five (5) years’ experience with Head Coaching duties in Wheelchair Basketball
- Five (5) years international level coaching experience
- Paralympic level playing experience
- Record of success in coaching athletes with disabilities
- Proven ability to recruit student athletes
- Proven ability to build and develop a program, including program fundraising
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
Required documentation includes all of the items listed below.
1. Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required minimum qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
2. Attach a chronological resume including work experience, education, and applicable certifications. Please include the names, addresses and phone numbers for 3 professional references in your resume (these can be identical to the references listed on the application).
3. Complete the online application form and respond to the online questions, if applicable.
4. Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Overall supervision of Para Sports Wheelchair Basketball Program:
- Develop the recruiting strategy and execution plan for recruitment of potential student-athletes. Emphasis is placed on the ability to identify, recruit, and develop qualified student-athletes. Keep accurate records regarding all prospective student-athlete communications.
- Host a summer camp that will bring top prospects nationally and internationally to the EWU campus
- Host events that will bring recognition to the EWU Wheelchair Basketball program and awareness of the positive benefits of participation in the EWU Eagles experience with the University, Cheney and Spokane communities
- Develop, continue and/or expand summer camp offerings
- Facilitate learning of proper skill execution and safety techniques through knowledge and teaching skills
- Administer, plan, organize and implement year round training programs consistent with meeting the challenges of representing the University at the highest competitive levels possible, including Conference Championships and National Championships
- Communicate problems, issues and program improvement ideas involving the Wheelchair Basketball team to the CHSPH Dean/Associate Dean
- Keep accurate records regarding all current student-athlete communications and expectations
- Learn and research team and individual conditioning specific training methods and activities
- Work with all University departments in communicating program information, including programming, academics, fundraising, and speaking opportunities
- Collaborate with University stakeholders to facilitate scholarship offerings to student-athletes
- Represent the program on University and Departmental Committees as assigned
- Arrange and facilitate team travel for players and staff in a manner that will be cost efficient within a competitive framework
- Attend required program meetings
- Other duties as assigned by the CHSPH Dean/Associate Dean
- Organizational abilities, excellent communication skills, initiative, enthusiasm and loyalty are valued attributes
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Diversity Response
- DD214 Form
- Other Document #1
- Other Document #2