Specialist III, Business Services
Job Title: Specialist III, Business Services
Location: LSC-University Park
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 31785
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-University Park
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Founded in 2010, LSC-University Park is located on a 71-acre campus that includes the comprehensive Lone Star College campus along with Lone Star Corporate College, the LSC-Energy & Manufacturing Center, multiple university partners, a charter high school, several commercial tenants and much more creating the college of the future. LSC-UP’s vision is to be nationally recognized as the model for the innovative college of the 21st century. LSC-UP’s “Invitation to Innovate” (i2i) has resulted in local, national and international awards and recognitions, including one patent.
Campus address is 20515 SH 249 (TX 249 and Louetta Road), Houston, TX 77070.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Specialist III, Business Services supports other staff by performing task oriented duties while providing clerical, analytical, administrative, and/or operational support under general supervision. Assists with majority of Business Office operations as it pertains to college monies including purchase cards. May have full accountability for billing and reconciliation of iStar financial functions. Responsible for work carried out by others and reviews the overall quality of the departments work product. Monitors the progress and efficiency of workflow and responds to changes in client/student needs as necessary. May implement and direct programs to facilitate higher productivity and increased accuracy within departments’ operations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Forecasts required budgets/cash/operating funds for operation
- May supervise part time personnel assigned to operation; may direct and coordinate work assignments relative to operation within department
- May report, review, research and reconcile functions for daily student receivable deposits, operating funds, cash boxes, petty cash, and student account status
- May have full accountability for billing and reconciliation of iStar financial functions
- Maintains spreadsheets detailing the funds transferred in and out of the responsible account
- Implements and manages processes assigned to the department ensuring prompt problem identification and resolution including, NSF checks, facility usage billing, catering chargeback, direct pays, credit card applications and declining balance cards
- Receives checks sent from Accounts Payable in locked bags and reviews each check and makes note of who requested it
- Contacts vendors to obtain W-9 information, copies of invoices as necessary
- Runs reports to view all outstanding purchase orders that need to be closed out before year-end; emails each requester a list of their outstanding PO's; updates the lists and sends a minimum of 3 notices
- May audit purchase card transactions daily and resolves issues with cardholders
- Trains staff as necessary with iStar, accounts payable processes, and purchasing process
- Sets-up budget accounts and transfers funds amongst divisions to cover future expenses as requested by the Director of Business Services, Vice President of Administration and staff from both the campus and satellite centers
- Submits void and re-issue forms for checks that need to be voided/stopped/re-issued to System Office
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Requires detailed analytical skills and a high level of accounting skills and knowledge
- Proficiency in use of personal computer workstation with standard software applications
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills to interact with subordinates and direct/coach work efforts
- Excellent interpersonal relationship and communication skills
- Ability to organize functions to ensure compliance with deadlines and regulatory requirements
- Ability to transfer knowledge to subordinates and higher authorities
- Ability to determine the approach for doing the work
- Ability to work in an environment that may have unpredicted requirements or demands
- Ability to follow specific procedures that may result in interaction with co-workers, citizens, or other individuals
- Ability to work in a responsive environment where co-workers or citizens bring problems to incumbent for resolution; ability to determine the problem and create an individual solution
- Ability to prepare and or process purchase orders
- Ability to make recommendations that impact the budget
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE & CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards is the general work environment, unless otherwise stated in job announcement
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time within the LSC System and/or out of state with some overnight stays to support recruiting events in the spring and fall semesters
- High School Diploma and at least 3 years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Associate’s degree
Hiring Salary is $32,250.Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance. This includes a full comprehensive and competitive benefits package, a generous number of paid holidays and vacation days, wellness programs, tuition waiver, professional development opportunities and more.Special Instructions
All applicants for Full Time Faculty and Adjunct Faculty positions are required to provide a cover letter and unofficial transcripts for consideration for employment with Lone Star College.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.