Associate Director of Development
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleAssociate Director of DevelopmentDepartmentDevelopmentFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS20045Open Date07/22/2019Close DateSalary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeNoPosition Summary
As Rice University prepares to publicly launch its next comprehensive campaign, we seek a frontline fundraiser for the role of Associate Director of Development in the School of Humanities to engage alumni and friends as philanthropic partners. Having top-ranked programs in several disciplines, the School of Humanities fosters interdisciplinary areas of research and study. Reporting directly to the Executive Director of Development, the Associate Director will assist in planning, organizing and managing the development of major gift support for university fundraising priorities. S/he will identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift donor prospects at the $100K-$4.9M level and will be responsible for helping develop and execute the fundraising strategy for specific campaign program priorities and the school. In addition to the Executive Director, this would include close collaboration with the school’s dean and academic leadership, as well as other campus partners and central development office.Education RequiredBachelor's DegreeMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education PreferredExperience Required3 yearsType of Experience
Professional fundraising or equivalent experience with a demonstrated track record of soliciting, closing, and stewarding major gifts.Substitution for Experience Requirement
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
- Fundraising within a higher education institution, particularly as a development officer
- Working within a school and supporting a dean and faculty
- Working on a capital campaign
- Planned giving or corporate and foundation fundraising
- Experience working in the education or nonprofit industry or a related field
Valid Texas Driver’s License (or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment) required with no more than three moving violations within the past 36 months and no convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years.License/Certification Preferred
CFRE (Certified Fund-Raising Executive)Skills Required
- Ability to learn new strategies
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Data analysis skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to meet expected deadlines and schedules
- Attention to detail and ability to quickly understand and remember details about alumni/donors and projects to which they are assigned
Working knowledge of fundraising database software.Internal / External Contacts
INTERNAL: Will be in contact with all areas of the campus in person, by telephone, and electronically. Will have extensive contact and occasional travel with the upper-level administrators.
EXTERNAL: Will be in personal contact with a wide range of volunteers, donors, and alumni.Physical Demands
Open work environment. Occasional work on weekends and evenings. Significant travel locally, with some out of town travel required.Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/20639 Job Duties Job Duty NameEssential FunctionsDescription of Job Duty
- Maintain a portfolio of major and leadership gift prospects through the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors with an emphasis on $100K+ gifts
- Identify fundraising priorities and devise plans and strategies to accomplish goals
- Work collaboratively with faculty and development colleagues in support of fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate on development-related communications and events
- Provide strategic oversight and coordination of volunteers for specified advisory boards and committees in support of fundraising initiatives
- Facilitate board and committee meetings
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have three years of professional fundraising or equivalent experience with a demonstrated track record of soliciting, closing, and stewarding major gifts?
- * Do you possess (or have ability to obtain within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver's license?
- * Have you had four or more moving violations and/or at fault accidents in the past three years?
- * Do you have any convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years?