Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitlePolice OfficerDepartmentRice University Police DepartmentFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS20158Open Date09/19/2019Close Date10/17/2019Salary Information
$25.70/hour ($53,456/year)Work Schedule
Days, nights, weekends, holidays, various shifts.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
With minimal supervision from a police sergeant, a police officer with the Rice University Police Department is responsible for the protection of life and property on the campus and any properties under the care, custody, and control of the university. During patrol duty, the police officer will respond to emergencies, enforce motor vehicle and criminal laws, respond to requests for assistance, investigate suspicious persons and situations, safety hazards, and unusual or illegal activity. A police officer will interact frequently with members of the university community in order to meet their expectations and may be called upon to work with other organizations and persons, internal and external to the Rice University Police Department, to coordinate smooth and effective operations and events.Education RequiredHS Diploma or equivalentMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
Associate’s degree or higher.Experience RequiredNo experience requiredType of ExperienceSubstitution for Experience Requirement
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
Prior law enforcement experience; it is highly desirable that the experience be in a school environment.License/Certification Required
- Permanent license as a Peace Officer from TCOLE OR an out of state equivalent with the ability to qualify for TCOLE by date of employment.
- Valid Texas driver’s license (or ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment) with no more than three moving violations within the past 36 months, and no convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated or Driving Under the Influence within the past 10 years.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively operate various communications and data storage devices
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and in highly stressful and dangerous situations
- Good situational judgment
- Knowledge and application of the university parking and traffic regulations and Texas penal and traffic laws
- A comprehensive understanding of university or higher education culture
- Ability to develop positive and productive working relationships with students, faculty, and staff
- Will represent the department and the university to the university community, neighbors, outside law enforcement, governmental agencies, organizations, and persons interacting with the university
- Will meet frequently with members of the university community and various university and public organizations
- Shall maintain a good relationship with the student media and the Office of Public Affairs
- May be called upon to speak with the media as a representative of the department
- Must maintain a cooperative and enthusiastic attitude when interacting with the university community and public
- Must be able to see, hear, and speak clearly
- Must be able to climb a minimum of nine (9) flights of stairs
- Must be able to run a considerable distance
- Must be able to operate and ride a bicycle
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and push/pull up to 150 pounds
- Must be able to use issued police weapons
Work is conducted indoors and outdoors; exposure to extremes in temperature and weather; patrols of campus by foot, in campus vehicles, electric powered golf carts, and police bicycles; must be able to handle dangerous and violent individuals when necessary; work schedules are set and there will be mandatory overtime. This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency.Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/21362 Job Duties Job Duty NameEssential FunctionsDescription of Job Duty
- Provides for campus safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws, respond to requests for assistance and promoting good community relations
- Prepares reports that document incidents and activities
- Monitors, notes, reports, and investigates suspicious persons and situations, safety hazards, and unusual or illegal activity in patrol area
- Identifies, pursues, and arrests suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts
- Participates in training activities including classroom, seminar, or field training
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent?
- * Do you have a permanent license as a Peace Officer from TCOLE OR an out of state equivalent with the ability to qualify for TCOLE by date of employment?
- * Do you possess (or have ability to obtain within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver's license?
- * Have you had four or more moving violations and/or at fault accidents in the past three years?
- * Do you have any convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past 10 years?