Director, Dining Services
Director, Dining Services
About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Director, Dining Services
State Job Title: Director
Department: Dining Services
Job Code: HA6000
FLSA Status: Exempt
Funding: 7115-6014 (Special Trust Fund)
Bargaining Unit: APA
Job Type: Full Time
Timeframe: 52 Weeks
Shift: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Regular Days Off: Saturday and Sunday
The Director of Dining Services is supervised by the Vice President of Administration and Finance.
The Director of Dining Services oversees all employees of the Dining Services operations. This includes all management staff, all full-time employees, all contract employees, and all student employees
Salary will be commensurate with experience
General Statement of Duties:
Under the general supervision of the Vice President of Administration and Finance, responsible for all areas of the Dining Services (DS). Plan, organize and direct all operational and fiscal aspects of the Westfield State University Dining Service operations, including board operations, retail operations, catering, nutrition promotion/education, and bakeshop. Indirect oversight of facilities management related to dining services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Provide leadership for the multitude of functions within DS. Establish strategic direction and set operating policies. Responsible for the operational and financial management of DS to include developing, recommending and implementing policies and procedures, and establishing and maintaining appropriate records and reports.
- Develop operating budget; accountable for operation within budgetary constraints. Maximize revenue potential and net income for DS.
- Staff, schedule and provide for training and development of DS personnel; assess, counsel and recommend promotion, transfer, separation, salary and other personnel actions; recruit, select and hire professional and student staff.
- Direct delivery of food services to students and conference attendees; coordinate food service preparation and delivery with other University departments and services.
- Direct the preparation and delivery of food services for all special functions, maintain an effective quality assurance program, establish and maintain food service standards.
- Oversee and supervise the bakeshop operations.
- Direct the marketing and weekly theme specials for DS. Promote program enhancements, sustainability efforts, team accomplishments and vision to students, staff, and other customers.
- Make recommendations regarding the purchase of food items and services. Establish and maintain strong vendor relationships and ensure that only quality products meeting University standards and budget requirements are purchased.
- Assess DS performance in respect to established goals; recommend new approaches, menus, policies or procedures to effect continued improvement of efficiency and effectiveness of DS.
- Serve as an adviser to the Dining Services Advisory Committee on issues relating to food services, as well as academic projects.
- Ensure dining operations meet the state safety and sanitation guidelines by training, enforcing, and inspecting the operations.
- Ensure that University policies are adhered to in the delivery of food services; set and approve uniform policies for DS.
- Oversee the maintenance and repair of equipment of the DS. Work with Executive Director of Capital Planning and Facilities and the Vice President of Administration and Finance to ensure that the facilities are properly maintained and kept in good condition.
- Professionally represent the University while attending national and regional educational sessions and tradeshows; attend and/or present to workshops to maintain and improve knowledge within food services.
- Participate in administrative staff meetings; serve on committees as requested; conduct training and development programs for assigned personnel.
- Perform other management or food service functions or duties, as required.
- Cultivate and maintain a respectful, cooperative work environment for a diverse and unionized workforce.
- Commit to and support affirmative action and non-discrimination goals and customer focused quality services.
- Ensure quality custodial program within Dining Services.
- Work collaboratively with the Campus Card Office and the Finance Office to ensure customer service oriented meal plan program.
- Work closely with Vice President of Administration and Finance where clarification, interpretation or exception to University policy may be indicated. Also for final approval of meal plan options, board plan pricing, board system changes, capital expenditures, and staff level adjustments.
- Work closely with the Vice President of Administration and Finance and the Director of Housing on long and short term goals, plans, and objectives within the scope of University-wide policies and the University strategic plan.
- Bachelor's degree required. Ten (10) years management and or industry certifications may be considered in lieu of degree requirement.
- Minimum of five (5) years progressive management experience in a university residential dining environment (Related work experience may be considered in lieu of university residential experience)
- Proven track record of successfully controlling financial costs and managing annual budget.
- Microsoft proficiency required.
- ServeSafe Certification or obtainable within 90 days of hire.
- Master's degree in Business Administration or other advanced degree preferred
- Relevant management experience in other large and multi-unit dynamic restaurant or institutional environments is preferred
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An on-line application is required. The successful candidate must submit an official transcript at the time of hire. Interested candidates should electronically attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for three references *
- Copy of unofficial transcript of highest degree
* Provide the contact information for reference providers in the reference section of the online application.
Deadline: The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalists have been selected. .
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=116036
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency