Job Code 190293
Marketing and Communications
Full-time/ 40 hours/ 12-month
Clark University’s Office of Marketing and Communications seeks an enterprising, proactive and highly skilled Web Specialist to join our growing digital team. This talented web professional will bring the experience and skills to build, monitor, test and update dynamic and engaging web pages in WordPress. A strategic thinker, the Web Specialist will contribute a deep knowledge and understanding of best practices in user experience and website development and help ensure that Clark’s website content aligns with University brand, messaging, design and communication strategies. Reporting to the Director of Web Strategy, the Web Specialist will join a marketing and communications team that is adding multiple positions in the coming year as it takes a newly strategic and more digitally oriented approach to its service to the University.
Duties and Responsibilities
Included in a range of responsibilities, the Web Specialist will:
- In working with the Director of Web Strategy and in partnership with the CMS Administrator, develop and implement dynamic approaches to improving Clark’s website and its effectiveness engaging visitors in the mission and messages of the University.
- As a key member of the web team, provide knowledge and apply expertise in usability, user experience, user interface, structure, navigation, responsive design, accessibility and analytics.
- By capitalizing on the skills that allow the Web Specialist to make the most of our WordPress CMS, build compelling, strategic, brand-conscious and user-friendly web pages and websites.
- By working closely as necessary with others on the MarComm team and colleagues from relevant offices across campus, continuously audit, migrate, create, organize and optimize the content, structure and design of office, departmental and University websites.
- Respond strategically and effectively to requests from offices across campus for improving and updating relevant pages and websites.
- Dynamically review, test and continuously improve webpages and their functionality in all essential browsers, platforms and devices.
- Capitalize on the full capabilities of information architecture, navigation, wireframes and sitemaps to enhance and simplify the user experience.
- Use SiteImprove to monitor and improve webpages, including quality-assurance and accessibility issues.
- Work with MarComm’s photographers and graphic artists to select, edit, crop, tag, upload, manage and optimize the website’s use of digital assets.
- Help research, identify and test new digital tools to support marketing and communication strategies.
- Assist the CMS administrator as needed in providing training to web content owners and content managers across campus, ensuring web and accessibility best practices and consistency in University messaging, branding, design and editorial style.
- As needed, collaborate with web developers in Information Technology Services and off campus to meet project deadlines and address campus website needs.
- Monitor and analyze peer websites and identify and implement ideas that improve the Clark website.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: Minimum of a bachelor’s degree, or a two-year degree and concomitant experience to a bachelor’s degree.
- Work experience: Minimum of seven years of full-time professional work — ideally demonstrating advancing levels of responsibility — and including a minimum of three years of experience maintaining and updating web pages in WordPress or a similar content management systems.
- Proven knowledge and skill in applying best practices in responsive design, user experience/interface, content organization, navigation, 508 compliance, accessibility, A/B testing, functionality and quality assurance (cross-browser testing), search engine optimization, and analytics.
- Enthusiasm for and ability to learn new and emerging tools and technologies.
- Strong knowledge of Bootstrap grid system and responsive design.
- Experience using PhotoShop, Illustrator, and other necessary software.
- Demonstrated experience using project management tools.
- Proven ability to use and coordinate website-change requests through a projects ticketing system.
- Strong visual design skills, including knowledge of latest trends, colors, and typography.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage multiple, deadline-driven projects.
- Proven record of working well with others in a diverse and fast-paced environment.
This is a full-time, 40 hours per week, 12-month position with excellent benefits, which include employee and family tuition benefits, 4 weeks’ vacation, generous retirement plan, free use of campus fitness center and many more.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience. Please email résumé and cover letter to [email protected] . Applicants must reference Job code 190293 in the subject line to be considered for this position.
Clark University embraces equal opportunity and affirmative action as core values: we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. This commitment applies to every aspect of education, services, and employment policies and practices at Clark. Our commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. All positions at Clark share in the responsibility for building a community that values diversity and the uniqueness of others by exhibiting integrity and respect in interacting with all members of the Clark community to create an atmosphere of fairness and belonging. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, inclusive of all women, to apply.