#101872 Web Application Developer
This is a contract appointment that may be extended or converted to career status based on the needs of the department.
UC San Diego Policy will not allow this position to receive work visa sponsorship.DESCRIPTION
UC San Diego is ranked the 9th best public university in the nation by U.S. News and World Report and is the largest employer based in San Diego County.
Reporting to the VC-CFO, Information Technology Services (ITS) delivers Enterprise information technology services to the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) under the leadership of the campus Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Information Technology Services (IT Services) uses world-class services and technologies to empower UC San Diego's mission to transform California and the world as a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university. As a strategic member of the UC San Diego community, IT Services embraces innovation in their delivery of IT services, infrastructure, applications, and support. IT Services is customer-focused and committed to collaboration, continuous improvement, and accountability.
As a part of Business Technology Services (a division of ITS), the Student Information Systems (SIS) team is responsible for supporting faculty, staff, and student transactions relating to university business processes. Supporting approximately 80 enterprise applications the SIS team actively works as a business partner with our constituents to provide the highest levels of functionality, support, and innovation in all of our work.
More specifically, the Academic Affairs Information Services (AAIS) group, which is a sub organization within Business Technology Services, is primarily responsible for building and supporting administrative business applications utilized by the undergraduate Colleges, Graduate Division, and Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor.
This is a unique opportunity to join an experienced team of full stack developers in support key business processes for the undergraduate colleges. The Enterprise Systems Renewal Program, is a campus-wide initiative that will transform core business and administrative processes. Become part of the initiative to drive positive change in information systems throughout the university as the team continues working together to refactor and reshape key systems in support of a world class institution.
• Reporting to the Assistant Director of Academic Affairs Information Services (AAIS), this individual will be responsible for software development support of existing web and database applications that provide critical business functions for Academic Affairs, Academic Personnel Services and their subsidiary departments.
• Applies skills as a seasoned, experienced software professional with a full understanding of industry practices, community standards and relevant policies and procedures to medium-sized projects or portions of large projects with moderate scope and complexity. Resolves a wide range of issues.
• Demonstrates competency in selecting tools, methods and techniques to obtain results. Interacts with users and project teams to establish system specifications and resolve issues inherent when requirements are derived from non-technical users, both within and outside the organization.
• Within various PHP web frameworks, develop new code and refactoring the current code base in order to improve and maintain current business systems in a portfolio of web applications. Design and implement modifications to back end relational databases in support of any application code revisions.
• Work with subject matter experts and business analysts, as part of an agile team, the incumbent will be required to achieve a deep understanding of current state processes as well architect and document the future state of coding revisions as they relate to the business process requirements requested by the stakeholders.
• Working within a variety of UCSD administrative and student information ecosystems, develop work to ensure efficient, secure and accurate interface interactions. This entails interfacing and maintaining APIs, data warehouses, batch file processing and various microservices.
- Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce.
This position is eligible for full: 1) Health/Dental/Vision Insurance, 2) Vacation/Holidays, 3) Life Insurance, 4) UC Retirement Plan.
A Bachelor's Degree in related area; and/or equivalent experience/training.
Programming ability utilizing Object Oriented methods and languages. Experience writing code on a Unix system. Knowledge and use of MVC architecture in apps development.
Advanced skills associated with software design, modification, implementation and deployment, including object-oriented programming concepts.
Proven ability to understand functional needs and how systems can support those needs.
Demonstrated ability to develop conversion and system implementation plans.
Demonstrated ability to create software specifications.
Proven knowledge of the principles of relational database development and management. Excellent working knowledge and experience with relevant operating system commands, database conventions (storage profiles, data-types, normalization, etc) and tools, communication protocols, and system utilities.
Extensive knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL). Strong background and experience with MySQL or MS SQL Server database platforms.
• Experience with Agile programming methodologies
• Excellent communication skills with demonstrated ability to interface with team members, management and stakeholders on a regular basis.SPECIAL CONDITIONS
- Job offer is contingent upon a satisfactory clearance based on background check results.
Duties may require direct contact and/or supervision of children (defined as individuals under the age of 18) ; completion of the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) form will be required.