Custodian (Casual Position, No Benefits)*
Custodian (Casual Position, No Benefits)*
Sep 18, 2019
Amherst College invites applications for the Custodian position. The Custodian position is a part-time, 16 hour per week (Saturday and Sunday), casual position with no benefits. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst’s students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our students identify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
The Custodian supports the efforts of Custodial Services to maintain safe, clean, orderly, and sanitary conditions throughout the campus community.
The Custodian takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Work schedule: The position is designated as providing essential services and may be required to report to work, or remain on duty even when the College is closed. Our work is central to student life and their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times may be required. The work schedule may vary and corresponds to the College’s operational needs, but generally is Saturday and Sunday.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Custodial Services - Perform general custodial work required to maintain safe, clean, orderly, and sanitary conditions in buildings and their adjacent grounds in accordance with established work routines, cleaning methods and procedures. Conduct room inventories using a tablet.
- Projects - Strip, screen, and refinish floors, extract carpets, wash walls, ceilings and glass, perform snow removal, support the campus-wide recycling program, as well as complete monthly work request forms, building inspections, and student damage reports.
- Special Requests/General Maintenance - Perform general maintenance duties, move furniture or custodial equipment, and assist Special Services as needed.
- A valid driver’s license and successful credentialing is required in order to operate college vehicles.
- Basic math skills including adding and subtracting
- Basic computer skills
- Strong customer service, organizational, and time-management skills
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills including the ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Attention to detail
- An acceptable criminal offender records information (CORI) check
- Successful completion of pre-employment physical and lift test
- High School or Vocational Diploma, or equivalent preferred
- Commitment to working with a diverse and inclusive community
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college’s community is composed of about 1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college’s scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum, Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!